Old 04-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #1
bigiron

Default PAQ's, vitamin of the month

Well it seems PAQ's are the trend here lately so I'll add one to the list that I thought would add interest to the site seeing back in 2008 I took a hike and caught the image below and there was decent interest and seeing I didn't venture inside due to time issues I actually missed out on the beauty of the inside of the tunnel only to get PAQ submitting a shot taken this year.

Image © Rich Clark
PhotoID: 227372
Photograph © Rich Clark

It was the first RR tunnel built in the US and I thought with the remarks it would interest a good amount of viewers seeing how my shot a few years ago did and it's not exactly on the beaten path. Guess you people can be the judge as in truth one can get discouraged trying to add some different interesting history shots with a twist of looks that in some eyes would add more interest to the site and catch on eye. Dunno anymore and frankly losing interest in trying to figure out what works for them or not I can certainly appreciate the grinding work the people did to get this tunnel done and to think they got a mere 18" a day done shows how today's technology makes so many not realize the brutal demands of making progress back in the day!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...69&key=2187786

Thanks for your input and time, Rich

Last edited by bigiron; 04-26-2016 at 11:17 AM.
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
miningcamper1

When I visited some years ago, the tunnel was walled shut.
It's good to see it open, but that railing is not very visually appealing.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
conrail1990

I think the railing and tire marks have really taken the "railroad" out of the photo.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
I think the railing and tire marks have really taken the "railroad" out of the photo.
Evan, for the record those would not be tire marks as it is a wooden walkway presumably put down to make an even surface to walk in the dark. I believe the way the trailhead starts off, one couldn't even get a wheeled vehicle down the trail.

Rich
Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 AM   #5
Noct Foamer

Really cool portals, back when people took pride in those things. The tire marks might be from bikes.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Really cool portals, back when people took pride in those things. The tire marks might be from bikes.

Kent in SD
Surprised you didn't mention using a TRIPOD, natural light, ditch the flash, lower the ISO, control the light blending exposures.

These state guys are not walking the tunnel and trail, use a gator or something like??

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
Ron Flanary

It's a great shot....and they should have accepted it. This is a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees....
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
It's a great shot....and they should have accepted it. This is a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees....
I agree completely!

(And I feel (and share) your frustration even though it's not my own shot!)

Your latest interior view helps better document your original shot (would be cool to appeal or resubmit with a link to it - and perhaps a message to the screener indicating so). It also documents the line, its history and that it just plain exists. Not the point of RP - the site for the BEST railroad photos on the net? Well, then - why are wrecks accepted? Or even generic roster shots?

I've had a shot accepted that is similar - of course, it's way better, lol ; )

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 332512
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

I am kidding!! Yes, the ties are there, and yes, I did a layered shot here (only to avoid the blown portal at the other end), but your shot is more then sufficient to capture and illustrate the scene, all in an appealing way. With regards to the flash - I'm cool with that - without it, though it might work, you would not be able to see the interior of the tunnel, nor the impressiveness of the cut and various types of rock.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
miningcamper1

Image © Mitch Goldman

OMG- Too dangerous! Ties to trip on. Rocks lurking in wait to crush helpless visitors.

But seriously, it's good that not every fascinating place has been sealed off or sanitized (like Natural Tunnel on NS )

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 AM   #10
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
OMG- Too dangerous! Ties to trip on. Rocks lurking in wait to crush helpless visitors.

But seriously, it's good that not every fascinating place has been sealed off or sanitized (like Natural Tunnel on NS )
Yeah.... wondering how long that will last. I mean, it's Pennsylvania, not the Midwest. Should I add - "Taken with permission, hard hat and all PPE worn"?

Ironically, it IS very dark in that tunnel and easy to trip - and there are families that walk to the other end - which has a fence at the other end to avoid falling into the river below. It's as if they expect people to be careful all on their own!!! The very idea!!!! I am surprised.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 332492

Then again, we did just up the speed limit to 70 mph on the majority of our Turnpike. Who'd have thought?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Thanks for your opinion Ron and I totally agree with your assessment of the screeners view on this and other shots that stay hidden. The satisfaction that viewers like yourself and many others get in seeing photos like this keep giving me reason to get shots like this seen but the end result is pushing me away.

The screeners control what is seen on the site and the bottom line is not all RR related shots fit their criteria and to me the viewers and contributors suffer and frankly get turned off. Some of my most viewed shots were rejected for odd reasons and after time I resubmitted a few and all were accepted and enjoyed by many viewing. Problem is many more are now buried in my queue of priority things to do and may stay hidden and I'm sure plenty of other member's shots are dealt the same fate.

They may think it's "The BEST railroad photos on the net" but how about the best and most complete? People think that "wedgies are mundane but it seems they're chosen over other options.

Variety is the spice of life , Rich
Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I agree completely!

(And I feel (and share) your frustration even though it's not my own shot!)

Your latest interior view helps better document your original shot (would be cool to appeal or resubmit with a link to it - and perhaps a message to the screener indicating so). It also documents the line, its history and that it just plain exists. Not the point of RP - the site for the BEST railroad photos on the net? Well, then - why are wrecks accepted? Or even generic roster shots?

I've had a shot accepted that is similar - of course, it's way better, lol ; )

Image © Mitch Goldman

I am kidding!! Yes, the ties are there, and yes, I did a layered shot here (only to avoid the blown portal at the other end), but your shot is more then sufficient to capture and illustrate the scene, all in an appealing way. With regards to the flash - I'm cool with that - without it, though it might work, you would not be able to see the interior of the tunnel, nor the impressiveness of the cut and various types of rock.

/Mitch
Mitch, nice shot and good thoughts. I'm glad you put in it's a layered shot as Bob mentioned in the below quote as to not using a flash and that is why you don't see that shot, lol.

"Surprised you didn't mention using a TRIPOD, natural light, ditch the flash, lower the ISO, control the light blending exposures.

These state guys are not walking the tunnel and trail, use a gator or something like??"

All aboard, Rich
Old 04-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
RobJor

Rich, just to clarify, my comments about tripod were made after the rejection and I did not say it should be rejected. However you were in a controlled environment so I think using a tripod to lower the ISO below 3200, TRYING natural light and processing with layers was a reasonable suggestion. The tunnel is not going anywhere and you had been there before so it seemed possible you could go back.

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote