Old 03-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
BurghMan

Default Alternative to Slide Scanning

I hate scanning slides. No, let me rephrase that. I really hate scanning slides! The scanner I have is slow and can only do one slide at a time. Although the scans are sharp, the colors are sometimes off and I end up spending a lot of time playing with them in Photoshop. While that is fun for some, there are other things I'd rather be doing.

A few months ago I had some friends over for a slide show. My five-year old son (already an avid railfan) picked up my DSLR and started taking photos of the projected slides. He was having fun, so why not.

That night, I looked at some of his photos. They weren't half bad!

Could taking photos of projected slides be the answer...

I've been experimenting with the process for a few weeks. Here is one of the results...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=225373&nseq=0

The camera is tripod mounted. I use an ISO of 200 with the camera on manual. I keep the apeture at f.9 and ended up with an exposure in the 2 second range. Occasionally I might have to do a quick tune up in Photoshop, but I've been able to "scan" an 80-slide carousel in about five minutes.

If you're like me and really hate scanning slides, give it a try!

Rich
BurghMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Ween

Wait, this is genius! Especially when you look at the shot with the EXIF:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...xif=1#exifshow

Taken in 1998...with a Maxxum 5D?!?!? Expect people to accuse you of time travel!

Nice shot, BTW...
Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Freericks
Met Fan

Used to do that thirty years ago to get black and white prints of my slides.

I was never successful however... in hindisght, should have projected onto a wall, not a screen. The screen had slight puckering/wrinkling, which would cause depth of field issues in that low light.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
denvillerailfan

I've never tried one, but I have seen a device on eBay that connects to your lens and holds the slide... you provide a light source.

Looked neat, but I never got into slides. I looked at these for my dad a few years back.

I just did a search for "slide lens duplicator" check description... many hits.

Anyone out these ever use one?

thanks,
Jeff
denvillerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

My dad had one of those duplicators. Either he didn't know what he was doing, or the thing was useless. The sharpest dupe was soft, and most were unusable.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
WembYard

I have a slide duplicator, but never really got to grips with it. Everything tended to turn out too contrasty using a flash gun to illuminate the slide and too hit and miss using daylight. It is much easier to use a scanner, one scan and its done, even if it is not the fastest process on earth. You could spend the same amount of time and more fiddling about trying to get a decent result from the duplicator.

BurghMan's idea does sound like a good one, we have all the kit so might give it a try some time. Personally speaking I don't HATE scanning, just don't have the time to do as much as I would like. Though having said that I currently have a backlog of rough scans to process which have been on hold whilst I sort out the photos that we have taken in the past month.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
ssw9662

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvillerailfan
I've never tried one, but I have seen a device on eBay that connects to your lens and holds the slide... you provide a light source.

Looked neat, but I never got into slides. I looked at these for my dad a few years back.

I just did a search for "slide lens duplicator" check description... many hits.

Anyone out these ever use one?

thanks,
Jeff
I have one of these. I picked up mine at a camera shop for around $70. Here are a couple of samples (keep in mind that I'm using a 5 megapixel P&S for these). The photos produced are good enough for web use and with a DSLR I'm sure you can produce good 1024x683 images from the slide.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 03-01-2008 at 07:50 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
mikekmac

Slide scanning is slow-bordering-on-tedious, to be sure. But even an old slide/neg scanner like my Nikon LS-2000 (picked up cheep on eBay) and Digital ICE produces vastly better results than any other method I know (except sending them out to a professional service with an even better scanner--in which case you pay for someone else's tedium). I just can't see the tradeoffs being worth it.

-Mike
mikekmac is offline   Reply With Quote