Old 12-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Reinhard

Default Duplicate photo reloaded in full intent

Looked for some more pictures of UP 4141 and found these two images:

The second upload seems to be just an action to participate in the "UP 4141" hype.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TX_Corsicana01_02.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	9675  
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Looks like he uploaded the same shot with 2 different edits applied for some reason.

But view count is usually everything.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The second upload seems to be just an action to participate in the "UP 4141" hype.
Possibly. It's been my experience that most photographers are not shy about jumping on bandwagons. That said, this photographer has just shy of 3,600 images on the site. That's twice what I have and I can tell you that I can't remember ALL of my uploads.....many of them, yes, but not ALL of them.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Possibly. It's been my experience that most photographers are not shy about jumping on bandwagons. That said, this photographer has just shy of 3,600 images on the site. That's twice what I have and I can tell you that I can't remember ALL of my uploads.....many of them, yes, but not ALL of them.
I remember every single one of mine! Real easy at my pace..

Big 334 after last night's upload.

Loyd L.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Grewup on the CW

A popular uploaded train such as this is why I wish the view count feature was restored. To distinguish the "real" RP views vs Social Media clicks. Casey's pic was on RP and the Funeral was still in progress. Its now near 20k views and the rest who uploaded afterward his pic(s) are trailing way behind. The real RP numbers would be interesting to compare against all the pics posted.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
KevinM

I've pretty much given up on RP views. Everybody (but me) appears to be "juicing" their views by linking to something.....forums, websites, Facebook groups, etc. Even friends who never used to link are linking. To24 is really meaningless now. It should be relabeled "Most heavily promoted of the day."

I understand everyone's desire to have their photos looked at. If we didn't care about it, we'd keep 'em all on our own private hard drives. To24 was originally created to showcase the most popular photos on the site.....the implication being among site viewers. Linking has pretty much invalidated the original concept. It's like stuffing the ballot box.

If they can't base To24 on site views alone, I'd prefer to see To24 eliminated altogether, and allocate more home page space for the PoTW and the SCAs. At least those are generally photos that are worth a look.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
Moffat Road

Quote:
I've pretty much given up on RP views. Everybody (but me) appears to be "juicing" their views by linking to something.....forums, websites, Facebook groups, etc. Even friends who never used to link are linking. To24 is really meaningless now. It should be relabeled "Most heavily promoted of the day."

I understand everyone's desire to have their photos looked at. If we didn't care about it, we'd keep 'em all on our own private hard drives. To24 was originally created to showcase the most popular photos on the site.....the implication being among site viewers. Linking has pretty much invalidated the original concept. It's like stuffing the ballot box.

If they can't base To24 on site views alone, I'd prefer to see To24 eliminated altogether, and allocate more home page space for the PoTW and the SCAs. At least those are generally photos that are worth a look.

Just to let you know, Kevin, you are not the only one that doesnít link photos to get views. I never have, and donít plan to either. I figure if I have any extra time to do stuff like that, I should use it to process some more photos from the backlog, or better yet, head out and do some more photography.

Mike Danneman
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:38 AM   #8
bbrant

My personal .02 worth...truly good photos don't need to be linked to get likes. There's a lot of talented photographers on here that I'm confident get completely organic likes because they post quality images. Speaking for myself, that's what I'd rather see...quality images vs. linked "popularity contest" shots. Thank you to the photographers who keep it real which is how I believe it was intended.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Just to let you know, Kevin, you are not the only one that doesnít link photos to get views. I never have, and donít plan to either. I figure if I have any extra time to do stuff like that, I should use it to process some more photos from the backlog, or better yet, head out and do some more photography.

Mike Danneman
Add me to the list of non-linkers. I have learned that some of my Conrail stuff has been linked in the past by people that I don't know, but I have never knowingly linked or had anybody else link any of my images.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #10
raylewis

I don't do the link thing either. I don't have enough friends or enough people that like me for that to work anyways haha. I thought I read in one of these discussions RP was trying to stop that. Its been about 15 yrs since I have posted here so its good to see some familiar names.

Ray
raylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylewis View Post
I don't do the link thing either. I don't have enough friends or enough people that like me for that to work anyways haha. I thought I read in one of these discussions RP was trying to stop that. Its been about 15 yrs since I have posted here so its good to see some familiar names.

Ray
Good to see you on here again too Mr. Lewis!

Miss the East Coast yet?

As for linking, aside from a couple nods from the RP admin on their facebook group, I do not participate in the linking contest.

Loyd L.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
raylewis

Lloyd,
Railroads are a big rats nest back there haha. They seem to run in every which way...much easier just to follow an east-west transcon out here haha. In all seriousness I wish I had some better fall materia for sure. But this promotion may get me a transfer soon...we shall see what the Air Force has planned.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #13
Grewup on the CW

For the record, non linker here as well. I only post here and occasionally rrpicturearchives.net. I dont and never will have FB for that matter. I'm like Mike, if I have that kind of free time, I'd spend it getting more shots. As Doug mentioned, if my stuff gets linked somehow, with whatever, its without my knowledge.

This pic of my own
Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 658745
Photograph © Grew up on the CW
has over 10k views. I dont see that its that special to warrant that many "RP" views, so IMO, somebody had to link it somewhere but without that feature anymore, none of us will ever know.......
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
This pic of my own
Image © Grew up on the CW
PhotoID: 658745
Photograph © Grew up on the CW
has over 10k views. I dont see that its that special to warrant that many "RP" views, so IMO, somebody had to link it somewhere but without that feature anymore, none of us will ever know.......
Right....I think that happens to many of us. When I post something, and it has 100 views in 15 minutes, I immediately assume someone linked it.

With the current state of affairs, one of mine will get perhaps 500 - 700 views in 24 hrs. Something unusual might get over 1,000 on its own. I virtually never make To24 in a couple of hours like some of these linked shots. If I make it at all, I am lucky to get an hour or two at #4. But that doesn't usually happen. For whatever reason, my stuff always seems to post next to KB or one of the other prolific linkers.

I don't do FB for a host of reasons, not the least of which is the behavior of that site. If you don't have an account, but want to look at the public site of a railroad or museum, a third of your screen is blocked by the so-called "curtain of death." That's just arrogance IMHO.

I think that a lot of people are legitimately addicted to FB. It used to be that on charters, you'd spend the time between stops visiting with people and catching up on friendships. Now, everybody has their heads buried in their phones, and they're posting quick and dirty versions of the photos they just shot. They call it "social media", but I think it is just the opposite. I also think that Facebook gets a lot of people killed. I'm not referring to a conspiracy theory. Rather, I am referring to people who are in their cars and who should be driving, not reading mindless drivel on FB.

My RP stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 12-10-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
raylewis

You guys bring up a great point....the time thing is huge. I barely have time to post anymore. Life was easy before kids. Only reason I have been posting so much last week is I am stuck at home on convalescent leave...and for another month. If I did have time I would be doing my darndest to try to get some of my work into photo essays to at least help offset some gas for an upcoming trip. But like you guys all my free time is spent shooting photos. Been trying now but the oxy is clouding my brain...but hey maybe that'll make the story better!
Ray
Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #16
miningcamper1

Quote:
"...a third of your screen is blocked by the so-called "curtain of death." That's just arrogance IMHO.
Agreed 100% on that! If something I want is on FB, I download it as fast as I can, then get the heck out of there.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
JimThias

I rarely post my train photos on FB because I don't want my "normal" friends to know how much of a nerd I am.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #18
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I rarely post my train photos on FB because I don't want my "normal" friends to know how much of a nerd I am.
As long as you don't go full on foamtard in the description most people will appreciate good photography of nearly any subject.

Loyd L.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
As long as you don't go full on foamtard in the description most people will appreciate good photography of nearly any subject.
True. But trying to explain to them that I like to stand out by railroad tracks for hours at a time seems to perplex many of them.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #20
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
True. But trying to explain to them that I like to stand out by railroad tracks for hours at a time seems to perplex many of them.
If they aren't bothered by your maniacal rants concerning fireworks, improper snow removal, and delivery drivers.. you have nothing to fear.

Loyd L.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
If they aren't bothered by your maniacal rants concerning fireworks, improper snow removal, and delivery drivers.. you have nothing to fear.
You forgot vertical video.