Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
vcode455

Default Screeners Choice

First, congrats to Mike D for another Screeners Choice photo. It really is a nice shot. http://www.railpictures.net/photo/655459/
But it is the 3rd nearly identical photo and at least the 5th from the same vantage point to get the Screeners Choice. I get it, the West Coast (and the East Coast as well) has some really beautiful scenery that makes wonderful backdrops for trains but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it would be nice to see some other areas of the US (and other countries) get represented.
Shots in the Midwest are few and far between and usually feature extreme lighting/weather conditions or some other unusual feature. To me, a slow moving train rolling past an old depot on some seldom used branch line or out on the Prairies is beautifully scenic as well. Maybe I am in the minority here, but it would be nice to see some of those photos get rewarded for representing the heart of railroading.

Greg
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
RobJor

No you are not alone but I would take it further. All the choices are good and I am not being critical of anyone's photo or any selection individually. However when you look at the choices now(today) and often is the case, they look like they center on one style.
Big Scenery, throw in some steam photos, a train 3 miles away in sunset and you have most of the choices. Midwestern scenery isn't going to change that but would help.

My idea, screeener's choice in addition to the T-024 should showcase variety. There are some really neat older photos, industrial photos etc . Sure a Santa Fe meet or and SP shot might make it but not many. Screener's choice to me is not a contest, this is the best photo, it is a choice, this is what we want to showcase.

Bob Jordan

Last edited by RobJor; 04-22-2018 at 12:22 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Mgoldman

A good picture is a good pictures - regardless of whether or not it looks like another, or is even a duplicate. One thing that always bothered me about the same as previous rejection was the implication that FIRST images on the 'Net is more preferable then "BEST" images on the 'Net.

But I agree - and have in the past advocated for a separate badge (read: front page ticket to a bigger audience) in addition to Screener's Choice. I've suggested something along the lines of "Screener's Recognition" vs "Screeners Choice". After all, an SC is just a favorite from admin. In lieu of that, heck - just be more generous with the SC's. Why not acknowledge the unique and more difficult to capture, less often presented types of scenes - even if it's not typically what the screener of the hour happens to find appealing. You don't have to like something to recognize the quality of the image.

Lost Gems was another idea - pulling old under the radar images buried deep in the archives and giving them another shot at a large audience.

Alas... who's listening? Even a good FB link can overtake an SC. Forget best, and even first - think link - your own personal SC front page machine.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

I've traveled the US extensively, and while there are some interesting locations in the Midwest, it's quite difficult to capture compelling photography that doesn't include dramatic lighting. From a railroad photography standpoint, dramatic lighting is the main reason I find myself in NWO (Northwest Ohio) a couple times a year. Sunrise and Sunset just doesn't have the same impact in the mountains of my home territory.

Loyd L.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
JimThias

A great photographer once wrote in these forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
You could give a one-armed monkey a camera and he'd take a decent shot anywhere west of Denver. It takes a truly talented photographer to consistently take good photos east of Mississippi.

- Chris

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
A great photographer once wrote in these forums...
Miss both of them here.

He speaks the truth though. I can't recall a bad photo taken during my last venture to California / Nevada.

Loyd L.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
vcode455

Which was my point. I've been out west, and it is hard to take a bad shot. That's why I made the comment about having 3 nearly identical photos get Screeners Choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would have given Jean-Marc's rush hour shot in Frankfort my choice for sure. A desolate shot on a branchline in the Dakotas has its own form of beauty, as does the gritty Midwest. Ansel Adams was a great photographer, but he was not the only one.................
Old 04-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
Which was my point. I've been out west, and it is hard to take a bad shot. That's why I made the comment about having 3 nearly identical photos get Screeners Choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would have given Jean-Marc's rush hour shot in Frankfort my choice for sure. A desolate shot on a branchline in the Dakotas has its own form of beauty, as does the gritty Midwest. Ansel Adams was a great photographer, but he was not the only one.................
Have to agree with you re Jean-Marc's photo which was really great, so yes it's a Screener's Choice from me too. Maybe it has a Photo Of The Week coming.......

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
RobJor

Yes but he says 7:02 and the clock says big hand on the VIII and little hand near the X. Germany must be slipping but then who looks at clocks anymore.

Maybe a little humor would be a good choice.

Image © Reinhard Reiss
PhotoID: 655893
Photograph © Reinhard Reiss

Premium and looking forward to it.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 04-24-2018 at 07:35 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
vcode455

I think Jean-Marc said the clock is stuck and correct only twice a day.....

Greg