Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #51
iuganda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Well.... IF you are a person that has come to the USA from a country that was ruled with an Iron Fist, I could see the concern! IF you are and IF you are terrified of authority figures, I appologize to you then! BTW, I am educated, I went to Choo- Choo U!!
Unfortunately, that's exactly where I come from: the Soviet Union. I wish I could change my past.

As to the "educated person" comment, just to make it clear, I was not referring to anybody on this forum except Allen. To make it even clearer, all I said is that Allen is an educated person - I DID NOT say or imply in any way that somebody is stupid. Moreover, uneducated doesn't necessarily mean stupid or dumb.
iuganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #52
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
To make it even clearer, all I said is that Allen is an educated person
But you did imply that since he agreed with you that he is therefore educated which leads to the conclusion that since folks don't agree with you, they are uneducated. Do you know Allen's educational background compared with everyone else's to make an informed decision regarding his education?

Sorry, but whether you intended it or not, it's a slap to those who disagree with you...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #53
iuganda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Hmmmm...I consider myself a "very educated person" but since I disagree with your point of view, that means I'm dumb? Fail...
I don't have an opinion or a point of view as of yet... Honestly, I agree with both sides, that's why I never sent the letter and started to take pictures again. Please refer to my previous post for details.

P.S. I referred to Allen as "an educated person" not because he seemed to be supportive (which is questionable) - that would be preposterous - but because he seemed to be able to see the big picture based solely on the spelling of my name. I don't think that I have to remind anybody that most of the people on this forum are not only educated and smart, but are simply great (regardless of whether or not they agree with my point of view).
iuganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #54
JWH
Member
 
JWH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nelson, BC
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's exactly where I come from: the Soviet Union. I wish I could change my past.
No one can change the past, but we all can adapt and leave the past behind us. That's what we humans can do. Ever hear of "When in Rome......."??
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #55
iuganda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
No one can change the past, but we all can adapt and leave the past behind us. That's what we humans can do. Ever hear of "When in Rome......."??
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. I think it's related to the issues of developmental psychology at least...
iuganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #56
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Senior Member
 
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 1,956
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default

http://www.redbubble.com/people/kkar...n-photographer
__________________
-Andrew Blaszczyk a.k.a. AB(2)
Proud fan of the Sabres, Islanders, Rockies, and Lions.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #57
iuganda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Thanks for the link - it never crossed my mind to get one of those. Well, guess what - I AM buying one!!!!
iuganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #58
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

I am coming to this very late - and have not even read every entry in here, but felt the need to add my two cents for two reasons - 1) my grandmother came from the Soviet Union and gave me some perspective of how one's view of authority figures was skewed by that experience, and 2) I have been stopped for shooting pictures of trains countless times both before and since 9/11 in many different countries and have had many different levels of interactions regarding it.

And my overall advice is - don't let it get to you. I know... pretty simplistic statement, but here's the thing, no matter what, the person who stopped you isn't thinking about it anymore. It's out of their mind. So you've got to let it go from yours. Enjoy your hobby.

And do realize, this is the USA... sure, you might meet a bully cop here or there, or a jerk rent-a-cop, but 99% of the LEO out there are good people trying to do the right thing. There's no KGB and any conspiracy theorist is just that... and all of the screaming you hear about our rights being trampled on... well, think about it, we're in a country where we get to scream that, so it's okay... we're pretty safe.

And it will happen again. You will be stopped again. Next time may go very easy, or may not. Nowadays, I have my radar up at all times. If I sense I'm being watched, I actually tend to leave because I don't want to be stopped. I don't like the confrontation.

But if it happens anyway, I'm polite as all get out. I just explain what I'm doing. I never mention rights or law unless the officer/guard incorrectly says that what I am doing is illegal. And even then, I stay polite and let them know that they are incorrect, but that I'm happy to move on, because I'm not looking for a confrontation. I will let them know that I will be seeking confirmation of their position from their supervisor because we are in a disagreement as to what the law is. But I stay polite, and in the end, I don't let it stop me from enjoying my hobby.

Finally, a brief story, which I may be repeating... about four years ago, I'm at the Montebello train station, which is actually posted "Platforms are for ticketed Metrolink passengers only." This means I'm really trespassing, I guess, but I'm there on a Sunday when Metrolink doesn't run. Suddenly, a police car guns itself towards me... high speed, swerves to a stop, feet from where I am. Cop jumps out of the car. He strides towards me. I sputter out, "I... I... just shooting train pictures..." He keeps going... puts a quarter in the newspaper machine... looks back at me and says "Huh?" I say my line again. He looks at me like, "why are you telling me this?" Takes his newspaper, gets back in his police car, and races off.

Last edited by Freericks; 03-19-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #59
lock4244
Senior Member
 
lock4244's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The City Below Vaughan
Posts: 1,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Finally, a brief story, which I may be repeating... about four years ago, I'm at the Montebello train station, which is actually posted "Platforms are for ticketed Metrolink passengers only." This means I'm really trespassing, I guess, but I'm there on a Sunday when Metrolink doesn't run. Suddenly, a police car guns itself towards me... high speed, swerves to a stop, feet from where I am. Cop jumps out of the car. He strides towards me. I sputter out, "I... I... just shooting train pictures..." He keeps going... puts a quarter in the newspaper machine... looks back at me and says "Huh?" I say my line again. He looks at me like, "why are you telling me this?" Takes his newspaper, gets back in his police car, and races off.
ROTHLMAO

Things are never what they seem, are they?
__________________
Mike Lockwood

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #60
Joey Bowman
Senior Member
 
Joey Bowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hudson, NC
Posts: 358
Default

I did a ride along with a local police officer the other day, though we never talked about photographing trains, he was very friendly and encouraged me to photograph any thing I wanted to.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #61
A Siebold
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuganda View Post
P.S. I referred to Allen as "an educated person" not because he seemed to be supportive (which is questionable) - that would be preposterous - but because he seemed to be able to see the big picture based solely on the spelling of my name. I don't think that I have to remind anybody that most of the people on this forum are not only educated and smart, but are simply great (regardless of whether or not they agree with my point of view).
IUGANDA ... you gave me much too much credit with interpreting your 'name'.

As far as people being educated or not on this forum ... who cares what level of education we all share. Are we having fun? Can we learn from each other? Responses from one person to another based on just what we see posted can be misplaced, misunderstood, or just plain wrong. Thick skin and patience always helps communication. Here, apparently I somewhat lucked out -- on this one. Which is why I generally try and just lurk... I can't get into too much trouble that way.

Last edited by A Siebold; 03-21-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: multiple post
A Siebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #62
A Siebold
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuganda View Post
P.S. I referred to Allen as "an educated person" not because he seemed to be supportive (which is questionable) - that would be preposterous - but because he seemed to be able to see the big picture based solely on the spelling of my name. I don't think that I have to remind anybody that most of the people on this forum are not only educated and smart, but are simply great (regardless of whether or not they agree with my point of view).
IUGANDA ... you gave me much too much credit with interpreting your 'name'.

As far as people being educated or not on this forum ... who cares what level of education we all share. Are we having fun? Can we learn from each other? Responses from one person to another based on just what we see posted can be misplaced, misunderstood, or just plain wrong. Thick skin and patience always helps communication. Here, apparently I somewhat lucked out -- on this one. Which is why I generally try and just lurk... I can't get into too much trouble that way.

Oh, and I really liked that story, 'Freericks'
A Siebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #63
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Thick skin and patience always helps communication.
It also helps to have thick skin when you're approached by the cops, especially if you're doing nothing wrong. Just sayin'....
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #64
A Siebold
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 29
Default

It helps a lot in many situations... not agressive, just thick skinned.
A Siebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #65
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

No, I'm saying to have thick skin instead drama'ing out, wondering if you'll ever pick up a camera again, and writing a letter to demand an explanation for the cops simply doing their job...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #66
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
No, I'm saying to have thick skin instead drama'ing out, wondering if you'll ever pick up a camera again, and writing a letter to demand an explanation for the cops simply doing their job...
Hey Chris, chill! Way back on March 12th, 10 days ago!, post #53, iuganda moved on, he didn't send the letter, he is taking pictures again. Why haven't you moved on?
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #67
iuganda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Hey Chris, chill! Way back on March 12th, 10 days ago!, post #53, iuganda moved on, he didn't send the letter, he is taking pictures again. Why haven't you moved on?
Did I overreact? Of course I did! Sorry about that. Not gonna happen again. I love my hobby and I'm not going to give it up. And I'm not as thin-skinned as some of you may think - teaching at the same public school for eight years means something after all (and no, I don't teach drama LOL) I teach science.

Last edited by iuganda; 03-26-2009 at 01:42 PM.
iuganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #68
TrainManNorfolkSouthren
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Warsaw, Indiana
Posts: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainManNorfolkSouthren
Default

Wow. u guys hae it rough.? the trains around here slow down wave and all! lol
TrainManNorfolkSouthren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #69
J Douglas Moore
Senior Member
 
J Douglas Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: "It's a dry heat" Arizona
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuganda View Post
Thank you very much for the info - I already printed out the letter to Tri-Rail and I will be mailing it on Monday.
I also printed out the pamphlet and I will make sure that next time whoever wants to get my info will read it first.
Just my 2 cents here.......... First of all, you are playing on their turf, so try to play by their rules as long as they are not a rights violation like Andrew did when asked to move. In my opinion, the letter will not reach any higher than a 9-5 secretary who cares nothing about you or your hobby and will likely end up in the circular file with no positive results other than to maybe piss off someone. I have been questioned, threatened, pulled over and have even had back-up called on me. Lifes tuff, I guess, but this is a non issue in my book. Just chill and toss the letter. It will serve you no purpose at all. I realize this is after the fact and I am glad you diod not send the letter
__________________

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!

Last edited by J Douglas Moore; 04-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #70
coaltrain4451
Junior Member
 
coaltrain4451's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I am coming to this very late - and have not even read every entry in here, but felt the need to add my two cents for two reasons - 1) my grandmother came from the Soviet Union and gave me some perspective of how one's view of authority figures was skewed by that experience, and 2) I have been stopped for shooting pictures of trains countless times both before and since 9/11 in many different countries and have had many different levels of interactions regarding it.

And my overall advice is - don't let it get to you. I know... pretty simplistic statement, but here's the thing, no matter what, the person who stopped you isn't thinking about it anymore. It's out of their mind. So you've got to let it go from yours. Enjoy your hobby.

And do realize, this is the USA... sure, you might meet a bully cop here or there, or a jerk rent-a-cop, but 99% of the LEO out there are good people trying to do the right thing. There's no KGB and any conspiracy theorist is just that... and all of the screaming you hear about our rights being trampled on... well, think about it, we're in a country where we get to scream that, so it's okay... we're pretty safe.

And it will happen again. You will be stopped again. Next time may go very easy, or may not. Nowadays, I have my radar up at all times. If I sense I'm being watched, I actually tend to leave because I don't want to be stopped. I don't like the confrontation.

But if it happens anyway, I'm polite as all get out. I just explain what I'm doing. I never mention rights or law unless the officer/guard incorrectly says that what I am doing is illegal. And even then, I stay polite and let them know that they are incorrect, but that I'm happy to move on, because I'm not looking for a confrontation. I will let them know that I will be seeking confirmation of their position from their supervisor because we are in a disagreement as to what the law is. But I stay polite, and in the end, I don't let it stop me from enjoying my hobby.

Finally, a brief story, which I may be repeating... about four years ago, I'm at the Montebello train station, which is actually posted "Platforms are for ticketed Metrolink passengers only." This means I'm really trespassing, I guess, but I'm there on a Sunday when Metrolink doesn't run. Suddenly, a police car guns itself towards me... high speed, swerves to a stop, feet from where I am. Cop jumps out of the car. He strides towards me. I sputter out, "I... I... just shooting train pictures..." He keeps going... puts a quarter in the newspaper machine... looks back at me and says "Huh?" I say my line again. He looks at me like, "why are you telling me this?" Takes his newspaper, gets back in his police car, and races off.
Good post. Thats some good advice.
coaltrain4451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.