Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
bigbassloyd

Default My first attempt with layers

Last night I downloaded GIMP, in an experiment to attempt to learn how to use layers to save shots with less than perfect light.

Here's my first attempt with a recent shot in cloudy conditions. I exposed for the sky, to keep the details, and tried to brighten the ground and train. I'd like some feedback on the attempt, good and bad.

The first attachment is the straight from the camera jpeg, resized to 1000x667 and saved at a size for attachment. The 2nd one is the final shot, resized for attachment as well.

Thanks in advance!

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01122009 012.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	3640   Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudyronceverterp.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	3641  

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Railfan Ohio

Do you have a color version of the final, because the train gets lost black and white.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
JimThias

Ewwww...did you desaturate or use the channel mixer? The tone of the paint on the loco looks wrong for b&w. Looks like you might have used the channel mixer, but the wrong channel.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
Diamond D

Hi Lloyd, hope you don't mind me taking a quick shot at this. The way I describe is merely one way of doing this type of adjustment with layers. A quick shadow/highlight adjustment in Photoshop gave nearly identical results in about 20 seconds. I haven't used Gimp before, so I don't know the exact terminology or capabilities, but in Photoshop, I opened it up and applied 2 Levels adjustment layers with no changes. You could get the same effect by duplicating the background layer twice, but with a much larger file size (at least until you flatten the image).

I set the blend mode for one of the new layers or adjustment layers to "screen" to lighten the image, and masked off the sky so only the train gets brightened. For the mask, I simply selected the whole image and pasted it into the mask, then adjusted the levels in the mask to take the sky to black.

Then, I changed the blend mode for the other adjustment layer to "multiply" to darken the sky. I copied the mask from the first layer and pasted it into the 2nd layer's mask, then inverted it. Now the darkening won't affect the train. That's it, a few minutes at most. Here's a screen shot of the layers palette showing the layers and masks. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSX.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	3643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Layers.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	3644  
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys!

Jim - I'm not sure what I did to be honest. It consisted of "read a little bit, jiggle a little bit"

Rf Ohio - Sorry, I switched it to B&W first off.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
Jim - I'm not sure what I did to be honest. It consisted of "read a little bit, jiggle a little bit"
I was going to fiddle around with the color version to see who you arrived at that, but I haven't had a chance yet.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote