Old 07-15-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRailroading View Post
Hi all,

This shot was rejected recently for not following the rule of thirds:

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...91&key=8773156

Any suggestions on how to improve it?
Not sure it would get it accepted but I would get rid of all the gravel at the bottom below the sign post and crop to the left of the sign, maybe to edge of the building. Then if you had a version of more of the train like the engine up to first support, I'd use that.

Problem the sign, is a little worn out so not that good of a prop. I like anything from Argentina, I guess the national highway is off to the right somewhere?
Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 07-15-2019 at 04:12 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
ATSF666

The bigger problem is you have two subjects, the sign and the train. Generally that doesn't work out well for a photograph. As noted above, the sign is weathered and not a great subject.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
FloridaRailroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Not sure it would get it accepted but I would get rid of all the gravel at the bottom below the sign post and crop to the left of the sign, maybe to edge of the building. Then if you had a version of more of the train like the engine up to first support, I'd use that.

Problem the sign, is a little worn out so not that good of a prop. I like anything from Argentina, I guess the national highway is off to the right somewhere?
Bob
I have a version where the engine is further to the right, but unfortunately it came out too soft to get accepted here. I will try cropping to the left of the sign. The national highway is a dirt road that goes under the bridge to the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSF666 View Post
The bigger problem is you have two subjects, the sign and the train. Generally that doesn't work out well for a photograph. As noted above, the sign is weathered and not a great subject.
Yeah, it was a better shot in my head. There's a hill just to the right of the bridge that would have been a better location to shoot from, but I didn't have time to climb it. I will just save this for my personal collection.

Thanks to both of you for the advice!
FloridaRailroading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Although the sky is a beautiful blue, there is nothing there and the train is shoved down to the very bottom of the photo. I like the sign and would suggest cropping down to just above the top of the sign and cropping off of the left to accommodate your ratio. It may still not make it on to RP, but I feel that it will give the photo more texture to look at overall vs. a lot of plain blue pallet with nothing of interest in those parts.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
FloridaRailroading

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
Although the sky is a beautiful blue, there is nothing there and the train is shoved down to the very bottom of the photo. I like the sign and would suggest cropping down to just above the top of the sign and cropping off of the left to accommodate your ratio. It may still not make it on to RP, but I feel that it will give the photo more texture to look at overall vs. a lot of plain blue pallet with nothing of interest in those parts.
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...28&key=3539413

I went with a tighter crop here. Still got rejected, but I agree it gives the viewer more to look at. Thanks for the advice!
FloridaRailroading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:12 AM   #7
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaRailroading View Post
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...28&key=3539413

I went with a tighter crop here. Still got rejected, but I agree it gives the viewer more to look at. Thanks for the advice!
That's a shame, I quite like this version.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote