Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default Go Candyland, or Give Up?

There are few images of the BCOL CRS20-CAT rebuilds on the site and even though this was totally cloudy, I thought it had a chance (taken in 2003).

Now, I could go in and give it one last try, going totally candyland - but I'm thinking that wouldn't be smart. Just wanted to check with others if they agree.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=515694230
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
asis80
Senior Member
 
asis80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,458
Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default

I charge a toll to enter the borough limits of candyland.

Ben




On a serious note, I think it's got enough to be accepted honestly. Do you have anything showing more of the yard? That might work.....bit tight for my tastes Charles. Right now it's a cloudy roster.
__________________
Trains.
asis80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Well, what do you know... there are 320 RS-18's listed on RP, including several BC units.

Based on that, I'd let it go. RP is the place for only the best photos on the 'net - and derailments.

I like the photo, however.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,895
Default

I'd say go for it if you have a wider view instead of just a roster shot.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Well, what do you know... there are 320 RS-18's listed on RP, including several BC units.

Based on that, I'd let it go. RP is the place for only the best photos on the 'net - and derailments.

I like the photo, however.

/Mitch
D'oh - I had looked for CRS20-CATs (which is what it was rebuilt as).

Don't have enough wider, Joe... I can get the whole mountain and the fuel tank of the second unit, but it just looks like a medium crop when you needed either very tight or very loose.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,775
Default

You cant really candyland a rostershot. I think its fine as is for the subject matter. Question though, can we a shot of the trailing unit? ALCO with flared radiators?! I wanna see.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

I'll look, but I feel like most of it was behind a box car.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Danny Boy's Opinion

Danny boy has weighed in on this one and guess what?

What did you say?

Oh ya, your right, he hates this one too.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 AM   #9
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

My life is over... I can't go on.

Last edited by Freericks; 09-04-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I charge a toll to enter the borough limits of candyland.

Ben
Ben, where are you!

Image © Billy Hager
PhotoID: 615246
Photograph © Billy Hager
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #11
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Ben, where are you!

Image © Billy Hager
PhotoID: 615246
Photograph © Billy Hager
I saw that, and it's embarrassingly poor processing. Blown out houses, come on people, you can selectively do adjustments for a reason.

Oh, and the candyland. It looks like he had plenty of room in the exposure to get this right too.

And don't give me the "limits of the camera" bullshit excuse for drone shots, they shouldn't get a pass.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #12
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,217
Default

When I got to the post by long ago banned HG, I went "huh???"...
So we might as well see what this dusty old thread was about:

Image © M. S. Repp
PhotoID: 431349
Photograph © M. S. Repp
Image © Colin R
PhotoID: 316068
Photograph © Colin R
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 05-03-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 745
Default

Weird thread, still laughing at myself as I didn't realize how old it was to start. Interesting the RS-18 count is only up to 520 from 320 which is 1/10 of 1 pct so could probably use a few more. I probably have several hundred and even a couple of the Cat rebuilds, so could maybe find one or two but right now I am on frustration avoidance.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Ben, where are you!
So, Jim, apparently you either memorized the existence of a thread from September 2011, or you purposely searched the forum archive back six years until you found something suited to, well, some conception in your head of what you thought would be an excel lead-in to your post.

Mighty weird, guy.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
So, Jim, apparently you either memorized the existence of a thread from September 2011, or you purposely searched the forum archive back six years until you found something suited to, well, some conception in your head of what you thought would be an excel lead-in to your post.

Mighty weird, guy.
Searched and found this thread Charles started, and then saw Ben's post and thought it would be funny to reply to it.

Yes, I'm very weird like that.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 AM   #16
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 745
Default

Thought I had some of these, no sun on nose, oh well, maybe one of the others.

One thing you have to watch for railfanning in BC, no focus but probably was time to move on.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC-01.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	948.6 KB
ID:	9406   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC-03.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	9407  
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Speaking of Candyland... holy shit!

Image © Lester Zmudzinski
PhotoID: 615423
Photograph © Lester Zmudzinski


How does this not get rejected for bad color, or whatever it's called now
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Speaking of Candyland... holy shit!

Image © Lester Zmudzinski
PhotoID: 615423
Photograph © Lester Zmudzinski


How does this not get rejected for bad color, or whatever it's called now
That is certainly a prime example of candyland.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
That is certainly a prime example of candyland.
Hmmmmm, I guess it's a matter of how you define "Candyland." To me, there are processing errors and there is over-processing. The former is almost always an oversight or mistake. The latter is an intentional series of processing steps, although the look of the end-result may not be what was intended. The latter path is how one usually gets to "Candyland."

In the case of the Zmudzinski image, there's a noticeable and annoying color balance issue, but the result still looks like a photograph.

A true "Candyland" photo is usually one that was taken in poor lighting conditions and then post-processed to the hilt to brighten it and/or enhance the colors. The result is usually something that looks more like a painting than a photo. Most of the "Candyland" photos that I see are cloudy-day images, because those are the most difficult to process....at least in my opinion. Being able to nail the exposure, color balance as well as the correct amounts of contrast, shadows and highlights is what separates experienced photographers from the hackers.

In my estimation, most "Candyland" images get that way either because the photographer is inexperienced, or because he/she has had an image rejected and is making a last-ditch effort to get it accepted by RP. Most of us don't deliberately go for the "Candyland" look. We end up there because we don't have it figured out. There are however, a few folks, such as Mathieu Tremblay, who take pride in "Recovering ALL the shadows!" LOL! I believe that Mathieu once proclaimed himself "The Mayor of Candyland."
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 05-05-2017 at 08:41 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Thought I had some of these, no sun on nose, oh well, maybe one of the others.

One thing you have to watch for railfanning in BC, no focus but probably was time to move on.

Bob
I'd be out of focus if that was looking at me too!
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #21
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
There are however, a few folks, such as Mathieu Tremblay, who take pride in "Recovering ALL the shadows!" LOL! I believe that Mathieu once proclaimed himself "The Mayor of Candyland."
I think you're not getting the point of the "ALL THE SHADOWS" joke
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 AM   #22
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
A true "Candyland" photo is usually one that was taken in poor lighting conditions and then post-processed to the hilt to brighten it and/or enhance the colors.
Well, since I'm the one who originally started using the term here, I can't agree 100% of with your definition. A Candyland shot can be taken in either sunlight or cloud cover.


Quote:
In my estimation, most "Candyland" images get that way either because the photographer is inexperienced, or because he/she has had an image rejected and is making a last-ditch effort to get it accepted by RP.
The original photos that inspired me to term them as "Candyland" came from an experienced photographer (or two) that won't be named here.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,040
Default

When should I expect residuals?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.