Old 02-20-2008, 03:40 AM   #51
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

I didnt mean to cause a firestorm when i posted this. i just thought that some people would want to know if their pictures were being used or displayed without their knowledge. i didnt see any of mine, but if any of mine were in there, i would be infuriated. And i see most people feel the same way.

How many of you guys put a ton of time and effort do get those shots? im sure some of them took days or months to get the right circumstances for the shot and for someone to claim it as their own with a click of the mouse and a crop of the image? it sure would upset me.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #52
bigbassloyd

He's got one of mine... does that mean I've arrived?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7778651@N06/1079837015/

Loyd L.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #53
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
I'm not for or against Flickr, but you do realize it wasn't Flickr that stole these photos but rather it was an individual (I'm guessing from Europe based on most of the photos he's stolen) that did so?
I also use Flickr and will continue to do so. It is a very good medium for displaying my photography and has an amazing interface.

Also, I would certainly think that this guy/girl is European based considering about 75% of the photos across all 6 of the accounts are from Europe.
sullivan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #54
SDavey

Yea sorry there Ween if I was trying to help let people know that their photos were those being used. My logic was that why pay money just to have those using the site use my photos or others for their own personal use. Going along with that this is why I am not upgrading other sites as well.

Last edited by SDavey; 02-20-2008 at 03:59 AM.
SDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #55
Frederick

I found one of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8401316@N06/1116385493/

There may be more, I'm not sure.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #56
Ross_Fotheringham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10128121@N05/2276953531/
Hasn't that one been stolen before? Ouch...
Hey, I'm honoured to have my pics stolen! That being said, let's take this guy down.

Yup that's been stolen before, last time was by BNSF RR, and it was done the same way - they cut the copyright banner off and stole it. I see at least a dozen of my images in this guys galleries.

I would like to thank the guys who run this site for adding the watermark option! I know I was really pushing for it, and while it won't stop everyone, it will help reduce the amount of occurrences especially by major corporations.

I'd suggest everyone take advantage of the watermark feature.

For those who are angry, YOU SHOULD BE ANGRY! This person has stolen your property and posted it without your copyright on it. The next person to visit this guys site may be someone like Dave who see no copyright tag and assumes it's public domain because they are ignorant of copyright laws, or worst yet, asks the guy who posted the gallery for permission to use it in an ad campain, and the guy says, "Uhh, yeah sure just give me photo credit."

My $0.02.
Ross_Fotheringham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #57
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

This is just one more example why EVERYONE should learn how to save their copyright statements in the photo's metadata, a spot where 3 out of every 5 common crooks won't think to look for identifying info in an image.

When you write this information into the metadata, I'd suspect jackasses like this wouldn't have even the foggiest clue on how to change it. Hell, he doesn't even know how to change the photo file names as they were when he swiped them.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #58
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Hell, he doesn't even know how to change the photo file names as they were when he swiped them.
Very true. All 6 of my photos retained the exact file name that RP.net has them at with a few extra numbers added to the end.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #59
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

So has anyone considered maybe we as a "class" should approach legal counsel to contact FLICKR regarding a flagrant violation of copyright law?

Is this a course anyone is interested in?

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #60
Ross_Fotheringham

Quote:
This is just one more example why EVERYONE should learn how to save their copyright statements in the photo's metadata, a spot where 3 out of every 5 common crooks won't think to look for identifying info in an image.

When you write this information into the metadata, I'd suspect jackasses like this wouldn't have even the foggiest clue on how to change it. Hell, he doesn't even know how to change the photo file names as they were when he swiped them.

I put it in mine and it does not show up in the file in his gallery. Good point that most don't know to look for it, but it's easily removed.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #61
Ross_Fotheringham

Quote:
So has anyone considered maybe we as a "class" should approach legal counsel to contact FLICKR regarding a flagrant violation of copyright law?

I'd give it some time, I'm sure Flickr will eventually get to it. They've likely got a guy or 2 in some dark basement in India who's only has 125K more email before he gets to ours.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #62
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_Fotheringham
Yup that's been stolen before, last time was by BNSF RR, and it was done the same way - they cut the copyright banner off and stole it. I see at least a dozen of my images in this guys galleries.
Maybe BNSF got the photo from him since the photo has been up for 6 months and paid him for it.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #63
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I've gone on the record before against watermarking images. I think it cheapens the artistic presentation of the photography. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever watermark something.

I often go into this world naive and assuming that everyone has good intentions. Most people do the right thing, but not everyone has a strong moral compass. That's why I have an intellectual property lawyer. I sold a tremendous number of photographs last year, and in dealing with several large corporations, I've found it advantageous to have someone who can write a damn good license agreement. I've called upon the same lawyer once before to kick around someone who reprinted a photo without permission.

The clown who stole a bunch of my photos on flickr can consider his or her ass reported.

Most curiously, one of my photos now reposted on flicker is covered by a multi-year license agreement with a certain national railroad. I don't really care about piddly little idiots stealing photos, but the railroad that paid big money for the photo might. After all, the photograph is exclusively licensed to them for a duration of time. That makes it my business to aggressively pursue violations like this; it's also why I have a lawyer.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #64
mst145

Maybe if the site administrators can establish the process of adding watermarks to existing photos in the database, they could possibly prevent this from happening again.

Just my opinion......

M.T.
mst145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 AM   #65
mst145

Quote:

Maybe we should, as a group, file a class action lawsuit

Railpictures.net vs. Flickr

Maybe it'll go all the way to the Supreme Court..... LOL

Are there any lawyers on railpictures.net willing to take the case?

M.T.

Last edited by mst145; 02-20-2008 at 04:50 AM.
mst145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #66
Freericks
Met Fan

Wow - he's posted one of my pics!

Weird thing is that if I didn't know so many pictures on there, I would have been jealous as Hell -- how did one photographer get so good and see so much of the world?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #67
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst145
Maybe if the site administrators can establish the process of adding watermarks to existing photos in the database, they could possibly prevent this from happening again.

Just my opinion......

M.T.
deviantART.com allows that for subscribing members.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #68
WKUrailfan

I want to know how you even found these flickr accounts. None of the photos are tagged and all of the views have been linked from these forums. In all likelihood the guy who did this doesn't even check those accounts anymore.

If you're worried about people seeing those, and not knowing they're yours, don't. I guarantee you there are hundreds of people who save images off rp.net to their computers. You will never know and there's nothing you can do about it.

Get over it.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 AM   #69
sullivan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKUrailfan
I want to know how you even found these flickr accounts. None of the photos are tagged and all of the views have been linked from these forums. In all likelihood the guy who did this doesn't even check those accounts anymore.

If you're worried about people seeing those, and not knowing they're yours, don't. I guarantee you there are hundreds of people who save images off rp.net to their computers. You will never know and there's nothing you can do about it.

Get over it.
Most of the photos date back to 2007, but the most recent collection dated to Today, Feb 19, 2008. Just go on Flickr and search for people. Enter the username trains_##. Fill in the ## with 01 and work your way up to 15. There are 9 accounts using that format.

Saving the photos to your hard drive is one thing. Thats like recording a TV program with your DVR. Taking hundreds of photos, and reposting them on another website without permission and no credit to the original photographer is theft. Not on one photo is there credit linked to anybody.

In fact in this photo the original photographers name is still left in the image.

Last edited by sullivan1985; 02-20-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #70
Ross_Fotheringham

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I don't really care about piddly little idiots stealing photos, but the railroad that paid big money for the photo might. After all, the photograph is exclusively licensed to them for a duration of time. That makes it my business to aggressively pursue violations like this; it's also why I have a lawyer.
If it is exclusive then they have every right to care and since you still hold the copyright (since it was a lease agreement, not a copyright sale) I'm sure your lawyer (who I hope specializes in copyrights, not general practice) will likely also agree that it's your responsibility to keep it exclusive.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #71
Darryl Rule

Well I found 3 of mine on there. Really unbelievable. Some people just don't get it, and from the responses here, there are some people here in the same boat.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #72
Ross_Fotheringham

Well I'm still LMFAO on this one!! I remember when it was orginally posted here.

That poor SOB standing on the cattle card! I bet he doesn't look both ways either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1012812...47140/sizes/o/
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #73
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCagle7073
It's a shame that you can't find his contact info on there or we could all send him emails. There is an option to send him a message on flickr.
I did that as soon as I saw it, a polite request for him to take them down. No response so far...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
No shots there. Confirmed, I am a total photography failure!
but....the switchstand...!!!
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #74
Wizzo

I see at least one of mine is on that originally noted album

Image © Stephen Dance
PhotoID: 198458
Photograph © Stephen Dance

I normally don't mind my shots being posted elsewhere as long as they are credited and railpics mentioned and linked, but this guy (or girl) is taking the proverbial

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #75
willig

Quite right Steve. I've posted comments on a number of shots (including yours) to highlight that they were "nicked" from RP.net.
Like you I wouldn't mind in some circumstances with the right credit. But, once its uncredited on his site and not copyrighted for the original photographer, he can give permission for "his" photos to be used anywhere, including commercially.

This guys pages have to be taken down.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote