Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I actually feel bad for Konrad... as HG noted above, this is not a business that is going to make any money. Honestly, if you have some railfan street cred or fame (like a Steve Barry, or maybe or own Mr. Flannery on this thread) I would think you might be able to pay for your framing - but if you are looking to start a business by selling prints of train photos - unless you know something that I don't know, you are trying to milk a rock.
I sold one railroad photo on my web site recently and I almost ran through the streets naked screaming and shouting. I was shocked. Most of my railroad sales have actually been to counties and towns wanting to do web sites and such. But most of my photography sales have been non-rail.

Which doesn't explain where there are more railroad shots on my Fine Art America web site, which, by the way, is linked below. Credit cards accepted, 30 day money back promise!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I got that picture of 3751 making the turn out at Lavic printed and framed poster sized, and it was almost $300.

I just don't see selling photos at rail events to be a big money maker, perhaps because a large portion of the attendees are still living at home with mom, or in assisted housing.
I sense that many railfans share my own odd obsession with having pushed the shutter release themselves. While I actually do have a small slide collection of other people's work, I honestly have no interest in other people's digital images or prints as something to keep and store. I look at them on line and I'm done. My limited interest in owning other people's photos (outside of books - which I enjoy owning a great deal) is in owning images of things that I just missed or saw and didn't shoot or that occured in my hometown long before I was born.

Now, there is a different buyer, the non-photographer who enjoys RR photos, but is that a large enough population to make money off of, especially with so many photographers out there today now framing correctly and shooting with such amazing cameras and glass?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
bigbassloyd

In my experiences with print selling (several store fronts and what I sell at fairs and festivals) the railroad photography outsells the non-railroad material by a decent margin. I will agree that selling at dedicated railfan events is a break-even game at best.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
nikos1

Quote:
I sense that many railfans share my own odd obsession with having pushed the shutter release themselves. While I actually do have a small slide collection of other people's work, I honestly have no interest in other people's digital images or prints as something to keep and store. I look at them on line and I'm done. My limited interest in owning other people's photos (outside of books - which I enjoy owning a great deal) is in owning images of things that I just missed or saw and didn't shoot or that occured in my hometown long before I was born.

Now, there is a different buyer, the non-photographer who enjoys RR photos, but is that a large enough population to make money off of, especially with so many photographers out there today now framing correctly and shooting with such amazing cameras and glass?
Its funny how much work we go through just to duplicate something we could likely already see on the internet without leaving the house, just to say you went there and took the picture.
I'm the same way about other prints too, all of the ones I've bought have been photos of the long abandoned line through my home town. The few times I have sold any prints have been to people who happened to live near where I took the photo and stumbled across my picture, don't think any of my sales have been to other railfans.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
Ron Flanary

Quote:
... - but if you are looking to start a business by selling prints of train photos - unless you know something that I don't know, you are trying to milk a rock...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageRock.jpg (35.7 KB, 408 views)
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
Freericks
Met Fan

That is utterly ridiculous.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Ron Flanary

Quote:
I was waiting for this...

Tit for tat.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
jnohallman

Quote:
No. That is udderly ridiculous.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
No. That is udderly ridiculous.

Jon
Jon wins the Spelling Bee!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Credit cards accepted, 30 day money back promise!

Why the 30 day wait? Wouldn't it simply be far easier not to charge in the first place?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote