Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
Joe the Photog

What's the difference between the RP shot and this shot?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1245047
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I don't see any police, fire or EMS people in this photo. If this were indeed the scene of a fatal accident, it would never have been left alone, because the NTSB has to be involved and the evidence needs to be preserved. That really makes me wonder about the circumstances in which this photo was taken. If this person was on-scene and the authorities had not arrived yet....then why the hell wasn't he looking for a fire extinguisher vs. standing around taking silly-ass pictures?
I don't know if I really get what you're trying to say. Are you questioning whether this was really a fatal accident? An accident at all? I'd like to hear from the photog, but I suppose he was there when it happened and got this shot before all of the emergency folks got to the scene? As to why he didn't grab a fire extinguisher and run to the scene, again, I wasn't there, but it could have something to do with the tracks in the foreground and whether or not they could possibly have stopped other trains yet. And not to be cold hearted, but I'm not sure a fire extinguisher could have done much in this case by this time.

Again, that's my best guesses. Maybe you could contact the photographer directly with your questions though. Here's the link again to the story I found on the accident --

I also think there would have been a lot of media outlets who would have run this photo. I may have worked for a few in the past. Each outlet has their own guidelines and the such, but I don't know what the big difference is between this shot andthe ones on the linked story, aside from the flames.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm not suggesting that Chris Allen's shot is on par with that. Certainly it is not as far as a historical context, but life often is not pretty and neither is death, but sometimes it needs to be seen.
In that case, do you know what needs to be seen on RP? BOOBIES.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=5690656
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

I could easily oblige this request... however, as is the case with the photo in question... it simply isn't appropriate for RP.net.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What's the difference between the RP shot and this shot?

Hi Joe,

Big difference. The Daily News shot shows the fire and rescue folks cleaning up the scene....in other words, the aftermath. The RP shot shows the incident in progress with apparently no one, except the photographer around. That shot is the one that begs the question as to why the photographer would just take pictures vs. try to help....call 911...anything.

Again, while bystanders probably have no legal obligation to personally help, particularly when there is danger involved....like the 3rd rail....they have at least a moral obligation to attempt to summon help. If you were pinned under a car and were still alive, I think you'd want me to do whatever I could to get you some help.

You're right about publishing. There are media outlets that would publish this kind of thing. But a majority of major media outlets would not.....again, because they have to care about their ratings. There have been numerous shooting incidents that have been caught on tape recently, but most outlets will not show the victim, or the actual shooting. The only segments of tape aired are usually those that show the events leading up to the shooting. All of this is out of respect for the victims and in some cases, fear of their ambulance-chasing lawyers.

I don't see much value in this photo. I don't NEED to see everything life has to offer. I don't have to watch an electric chair execution and smell the burning flesh to understand that a human being is being cooked to death with electricity and how brutal that is.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
Joe the Photog

Quote:
That shot is the one that begs the question as to why the photographer would just take pictures vs. try to help....call 911...anything.
We don't know what he did before, after or during this shot. I personally had made a decision when I was in the media that my job be damned, I would offer help if at all possible under any circumstance. Luckily, I never got in that position. But we still don't know the whole story of what happened here.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation Hey Look, the LURKERS are Out!

Quote:
....then why the hell wasn't he looking for a fire extinguisher vs. standing around taking silly-ass pictures?
You really don't know much about fighting fires - it is going to take a lot more than an extinguisher to knock that down.

Additionally, the person who shot this was not as close to the fire as it may appear, since standing that close could cause burns to the person and damage to the camera gear.

I think there would be an unbearable amount of heat coming off this even 30 - 40 feet away.

And really, what is the point in looking for survivors - it is a BBQ already.

If they weren't killed by the impact and the subsequent crushing and blunt trauma, they would have died from suffocation as the fire started and subsequent burns long before this picture was shot.

The vehicle is fully involved, there is no salvaging it, or looking for survivors at that point.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #33
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I would be so disturbed, I wouldn't even think of taking a photo.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #34
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

Boobies would be good. I like boobies.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #35
WMHeilman

Tits > food > fire > trains > no tits.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #36
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
You really don't know much about fighting fires - it is going to take a lot more than an extinguisher to knock that down.
You've probably never used a REAL fire extinguisher.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 AM   #37
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb I've done that.

Quote:
You've probably never used a REAL fire extinguisher.
Many times, so many so, that I can't even begin to remember how many.

Certainly more times than I have fingers and toes.

And I do remember the one time that I used an extinguisher to put out a power steering fluid fire in this thing:

Snow Day on I-80 in Donner Pass - Or Why Are There No Cars In The Background Of This Picture?

Problem is, once the plastic or the tires get going, it is over red rover.

Nothing short of a fire engine and about 2000 gallons of water is what it takes to get it out.

The car in the picture - you could start at 5000 gallons and keep going.

There is a lot of hot metal to cool off.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-25-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #38
jdirelan87

Quote:
If this person was on-scene and the authorities had not arrived yet....then why the hell wasn't he looking for a fire extinguisher vs. standing around taking silly-ass pictures?
This statement makes so many unfair assumptions I don't even know where to begin. Do you happen to know the photographer? Because you sure do seem to have a very low opinion of him for no apparent reason.

I called 911 a few months back to report a fairly serious hit and run accident in front of my house. The call lasted perhaps two minutes, then my involvement in the situation ended. The police showed up about five minutes later, I then joined the rest of the neighborhood standing around watching the situation unfold... plenty of time to take photos and 'do the right thing.' I would assume the same thing happened here.

As to your fire extinguisher comment... seriously? Back to that 911 call I just mentioned... after I told the operator the details of the accident and the status of the people involved, do you know what he told me to do? Stand-by, wait for the authorities and don't try to help the injured people on scene. And that was for a fairly non-fatal traffic accident. Do you think any emergency responser in the country would recommend an untrained bystander to jump into the blaze of an obviously very major accident like this?
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote