Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Gosh, because the one and only goal of staging a shot is to create an image of pure realism...
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
Joe the Photog

Wait, wait, wait! Where is the shot of the bikini girl and a BNSF train?
Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
Thank you to everyone for checking it out.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I do not think I have ever pressed the shutter button once while thinking about RP.

The idea for this shoot first originated around January or February. The model is into vintage and other related genres. I suggested doing a shoot at the museum with the trains. Not too long after we first talked about doing the shoot, Clint Renegar, BJ Preddy, and Ben Earp (all RP contributors) did a night shoot at the museum. I liked the outcome and then entertained the idea of doing the shoot at night and making it look as if a locomotive was fired up during the shoot, just adding a new dimension. (though the above photo does not feature any steam or anything like that).

We tried to set a date but its hard to get 4 different parties to agree on a date and the project fell through for a few months. Then about two weeks before the date we shot the idea was brought back up and everyone's schedule aligned. Having an engineer in the shot was never part of the original plan though Clint talked about wanting to do one or two photos during the shoot of him alone dressed up as an engineer. I figured, why not add him to one of ours? When editing the photos I decided to give one shot a try, just for kicks, I did not expect it to make it in in the first place.

It was a great shoot, I feel that I have created some of my strongest portraits yet, and got to combine my two favorite subjects, trains and brides.

Here are two more from the shoot, still working on the rest.

And no thats not "bad color" or a weird color cast, trying to create a vintage look, maybe kind of like a cross processed photograph or something that has faded/suffered color damage over time.
Great works!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I compare stuff like this to the "cleaning the headlight" type of stuff, except in reality people DID do that stuff at some point. What are the chances of some woman in a wedding dress getting anywhere near a dirty, greasy steam locomotive, let alone touching one like that.

That's all I am saying...
There are a lot of wedding on railroads overseas? So didn't it ever happen here in the US? I don't know but I bet it has.

Image © mpakirtzis
PhotoID: 323582
Photograph © mpakirtzis

Image © John Kirk
PhotoID: 288297
Photograph © John Kirk

Image © Praminto Nugroho
PhotoID: 248440
Photograph © Praminto Nugroho
Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
KevinM

Quote:
I don't see it this way. The current shots are very much, to use the terms from above, portraits with the RR content as a prop. The various bikini shots, I think of the BNSF in particular, is a more "realistic" interaction between babe and behemoth, to coin a phrase. The train's presence is not artificial, there is a stopped train and a girl nearby, the girl may or may not be posed but the scene is, in some sense, representational. The train was not stopped at that point for the shot.
Just my personal opinion....

Bikini babes and behmoths don't typically interact...period, dot. Female crew (who typically do not wear swimwear on the job) excepted, most such shots do not reflect a real-world scene. They reflect the coaxing of a boyfriend/husband who's hungry for RP views.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #31
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Female crew (who typically do not wear swimwear on the job) excepted,
Typically? TYPICALLY???

Kevin, I need to 'fan with you more often!

In general, my response to the entirely of your statement is that to me a) there is a difference between all of a shot being stages and some of it, b) as I said, I would actually reject some or many of these sorts of shots were I a screener. I will make a new point, which is that there is a difference between posed and found. I can think of a Paul Hoffman METRA shot (I think) where there is a woman trackside but she does not appear to be posed. Whereas there is that other shot (NS?) with the woman waving on the outside of the curve, which could go either way, and then all the clearly posed shots. But those scenes seem representational in a way which the images of this tread are not, the latter are posed portraiture.

There is a difference between the eye going to the girl (BNSF bikini shot, I'd link it if I could find it) and the shot being about the person - a portrait. One displays a scene in which there is a girl, one is a scene solely about a woman. In one the train plays a participatory role as a "real" part of the scene, in the other it is a prop.

As always, there are no bright lines.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
Freericks
Met Fan

Here you go...

Image © Ross Fotheringham
PhotoID: 257334
Photograph © Ross Fotheringham
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #33
Joe the Photog

I remember that shot now. Personally, Joey's shot should be on RP (maybe the color version) before the bikini shot. To me, there's more railroad value in Joey's shot that that one. I might could see the bikini shot in if it was less posed than it is. The other wedding shots in the database shows a clear precedent to at least one screener accepted these kinds of shots.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #34
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

I'd be curious.... What time of day did this shot get clipped, Joey? From my own experiences and from back-channel discussions with others, there does seem to be a correlation between the range of what is acceptable and the time of day.

It had to have been 2am or so. No big deal though.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #35
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I remember that shot now. Personally, Joey's shot should be on RP (maybe the color version) before the bikini shot. To me, there's more railroad value in Joey's shot that that one. I might could see the bikini shot in if it was less posed than it is. The other wedding shots in the database shows a clear precedent to at least one screener accepted these kinds of shots.
I do not want to debate whether X or Y should be on or off. I just want to say or to note that to my eye there is a qualitative difference between the three accepted shots and Joeys. The three are RR scenes with person(s) in them, Joey's is a portrait with an engine providing background/prop. Joeys is not *first* a RR scene. To my eye the three just belong on RP, they are well within the range of RP fare, whereas Joeys is clearly not, for reasons that I have only been able to partially explicate above.

Joeys would do well on Dennis' art-oriented wider-perspective rail photo website that he is stubbornly refusing to set up.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #36
bigbassloyd

Awesome shots, but not in the RP line of thinking. Find a good wedding photographers hangout, and wipe their noses in it. A powerful, stunning collection of shots there.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #37
Joey Bowman

Quote:
I do not want to debate whether X or Y should be on or off. I just want to say or to note that to my eye there is a qualitative difference between the three accepted shots and Joeys. The three are RR scenes with person(s) in them, Joey's is a portrait with an engine providing background/prop. Joeys is not *first* a RR scene. To my eye the three just belong on RP, they are well within the range of RP fare, whereas Joeys is clearly not, for reasons that I have only been able to partially explicate above.
I think I understand what you are trying to say. I figured that mine do not have "enough train" in them to really be accepted to RP. And IF something like one of my shots had been accepted, then why not start accepting just any portrait taken on railroad tracks. The line has to be drawn some where
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #38
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Joeys would do well on Dennis' art-oriented wider-perspective rail photo website that he is stubbornly refusing to set up.
No website but I am planning an artsy-fartsy book.

Got some pics for me J?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #39
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
No website but I am planning an artsy-fartsy book.

Got some pics for me J?

You know me, all talk, no pic.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #40
JimThias

Nice work, Joey. The color version is FANTASTIC.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #41
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Nice work, Joey. The color version is FANTASTIC.
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #42
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
My objection to Troy's statement has nothing to do with your statement, with which I agree.
For what its worth, Little. I was backing you up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #43
ExNavyDoc

Just out of curiosity, how did you get that "1940's color" look on the last image?

The non-vintage suitcase sort of gives it away, but aside from that little nit, the photo looks straight out of Look or Life magazine from the late '40's or '50's.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

My Smugmug Galleries Here
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #44
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you get that "1940's color" look on the last image?

The non-vintage suitcase sort of gives it away, but aside from that little nit, the photo looks straight out of Look or Life magazine from the late '40's or '50's.
I messed around using the a color/balance adjustment layer, and also partially used an action that I downloaded a while back (and then tweaked it a little bit to my liking)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #45
crazytiger

Where is the "Girls of RP" gallery? On a more serious note, I agree with J, the train is the prop the girl is the subject. And personally, I think I would have rejected the BNSF shot.

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #46
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Where is the "Girls of RP" gallery?
Here we go, lol! The gallery that everyone has been waiting for. As far as girlie-train photos if you are wanting those, you should join the 'Rail Girls' group on Facebook...WOW!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:48 PM   #47
crazytiger

No, I was not dying for them, I was simply amazed at the absence so far of the aforementioned gallery.

PFL
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #48
Kevin W-S

For my pennies worth I think they are great shots.

Here (in SA) there a quite a few requests for wedding trains which end up with the bride having shots like those illustrated. So it is realistic in terms of rail related activity!!!!!

My photos at RailPictures.Net!

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=17454
Kevin W-S is offline   Reply With Quote