Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Ed Mullan

Default Having a hard time with this one.

I love this one. And I thought it met the rule of thirds, the folks on the left,
center with the water spout and cab and so forth, and the right the front of the locomotive.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1049297265

Help me understand why this is bad composition.

Thanks, Ed.
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

too close to the right of the frame?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

It's not the left of the shot that I'm thinking they are having the problem wsith; it's the front of the loco being squished up to the right of the shot. To me, that's a more pressing issue unless they think the shot needs cropping a little closer to the dudes on the left.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Ed.....you were there? Were you the one I passed on the curve while I was hiking to brush tunnel? BTW, that's me with the white hat changing lenses on the camera. Haha, small world. Look..............I'VE BEEN REJECTED LITERALLY! hahahaha, oh my.

Ben
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
mark woody

Have a look at Ben's shadow isn't that backlighting?
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Yes, it was backlit. It's hard to catch the WMSR in good light when it's on time, which it really wasn't on that day either, but the lighting was bad. It's not meant to be a "photo" charter, it's a passenger charter. That's what Lerro and Franz are for, haha. They could charter the thing out in good light. The return trip isn't as bad, though. Do you have any room on the right, Ed? Crop closer to me and that other dude (I don't know who he was, but he kept on getting in my shots) and leave some more on the right.

Ben
Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
mSummers

I agree that the locomotive is too close to the right side of the frame. I agree with Ben's suggestion of cropping closer to him and adding more on the right.

As a side note, the locomotive will always be backlit at that location during the normal excursion runs because it faces pretty close to due North. There might be a tiny bit of nose light on the locomotive when they run the evening steam trips in October, but I'm not sure.

My RP.Net Photos

My Photo Galleries
mSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Ed Mullan

Yea, that was me, I decided to finally meet John Hemstetter after taking photos at the curve since 1999. He's a very nice man, and allowed me to pick a place to get a shot of the 734 and his new barn together. That one made it into the database. My shot we are talking about here is a camera crop, so I suppose there is no help for it.

So be it.

Ed
Ed Mullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
GIZMO

Default Lots to work with here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullan View Post
I love this one. And I thought it met the rule of thirds, the folks on the left,
center with the water spout and cab and so forth, and the right the front of the locomotive.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1049297265

Help me understand why this is bad composition.

Thanks, Ed.
For openers I would declare the locomotive a primary point of interest. The tender car and the activity (and people) around it would be secondary points of interest. The tree is a definite distraction that should be seriously dealt with, most easily by moving out laterally, that is down toward the water tower, taking several images as you go. That would enable excluding the tree from the image and developing things further back, even keeping that interesting-looking building in mind. This points out the serious need for a camera with an adequate 75 degree FOV and the ability to shoot on the go while hand-holding the camera. The tender and activity around it might easily become the primary points of interest. Perhaps you can develop some interesting passengers further back. The guy working in the tender is a definite candidate. Remember that songs about trains always indicate something dynamic happening or about to happen.
GIZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's not the left of the shot that I'm thinking they are having the problem wsith; it's the front of the loco being squished up to the right of the shot. To me, that's a more pressing issue unless they think the shot needs cropping a little closer to the dudes on the left.
I agree with Joe, just a little to tight on the right, maybe back it off a bit to get a little more sky at the stack, BTW you say the flags are black in your remarks, aren't the flags purple?
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote