Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 05-30-2009, 03:29 AM   #51
Ween

Quote:
I told you previously that several of your photos couldn't be brought up to acceptable levels, but you keep trying over, and over, and over again.
Wait...you mean you tell him something and it's as if you never said anything in the first place? Huh. I'm shocked!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #52
jlev
Banned

Chris,
I would like to keep my elite membership. I'm doing the best that I can. I'm not perfect, just like everyone else. Just about everytime I submit corrected photographs, I explain how I corrected it.

While I keep trying over and over, I will always continue to learn. Not every shot that I took, is RP.net quality. I try very hard to pick the best ones.
The VRE shot might be identical, but its the engine number, passenger car set, and location that I'm standing that's different.

John
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #53
Freericks
Met Fan

If two shots are that similar (that you have to see the engine number to tell the difference) why would you want them both in the data base under your name?

The point here is to show the world the range of your work, not to hit them with repeats.

Based on that knowledge, I think you need to let anything go that looks like something else in the data base.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #54
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev View Post
Chris,

The VRE shot might be identical, but its the engine number, passenger car set, and location that I'm standing that's different.

John
I dont get this? So it is a different shot, or the same shot with different info?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #55
NYSubway18

Once again I'm reminded of Dennis' quote:

Quote:
RP is about great photography of trains.
RP is not about photography of great trains.
Hence the idea that a very similar shot will not get in even if it is a different road number.

I love Dennis' quote, but why he chose orange and blue Mets colors for it, I'll never know!
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #56
jlev
Banned

Guys, especially Chris,
I'm sorry that I forgot to type in my name in the name field on the name page, as of a few minutes ago. I have had a lot of stuff on my mind, not just RP.net related. Anyway, the second VRE shot of GP39 # 01 was accepted. I am going to keep learning.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=285400&nseq=1

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=285506&nseq=0
Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #57
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Once again I'm reminded of Dennis' quote:

Hence the idea that a very similar shot will not get in even if it is a different road number.

I love Dennis' quote, but why he chose orange and blue Mets colors for it, I'll never know!

Meet the Mets, Greet the Mets, Step Right up and meet the Mets... (my team)
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 AM   #58
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Wait...you mean you tell him something and it's as if you never said anything in the first place? Huh. I'm shocked!
No kidding. I'm still waiting to hear the explanation for this:

Quote:
Road Foreman, the exposure modes that you listed, I never use. In fact, not only are they really a no no for RP.net, but in general.
Kind of reminds me of something written a couple of years ago involving a camera on its side.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #59
Ween

Maybe people asking him about that are typing in invisible font...
Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #60
jlev
Banned

With this shot of the Metro, I tried to sharpen it, and adjust the level settings. Thank you for any help.

Last edited by jlev; 06-01-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #61
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
With this shot of the Metro, I tried to sharpen it, and adjust the level settings. Thank you for any help.
Contrast looks off to me still. It's soft. Color even looks a bit odd. Just review the posts you've already received in this thread, and go on from there. Look at an edited shot from your VRE that myself and another member posted, and attempt to make your photo look similar to that one (as far as the contrast/color goes).

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 05-30-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #62
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Meet the Mets, Greet the Mets, Step Right up and meet the Mets... (my team)
Always a soft spot for the Metropolitans...

in '69 and '86!

BTW, Dennis A. Livesey Ultra Elite Fan Club memberships are now available!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #63
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Maybe people asking him about that are typing in invisible font...
Quote:

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #64
jlev
Banned

1. Here is another shot of the Metro coming out of the tunnel into the station. I sharpened it a little more, adjusted contrast. It might still not be at par yet.

2. I also took a photograph of a Metro departing the same station which is Grovenor-Strathmore. I think the horizon plane of the train is correct because I looked at the apartment building as my frame of reference. I made an attempt to sharpen the photograph as well.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #65
NYSubway18

OK, first I think you need to go back and read this thread again. If you don't have the time to actually read anything these fine folks have written to help you, I guarantee you they will stop...if they haven't already. I would've, but I need a lot of help so I figured I should keep helping where I can. Your second shot is far from level. Looks like you tried to level it with the top of the building which is at an angle from you. You need to use verticals that are towards the center of the frame, that you feel you can trust. Poles, lights, trees etc are often far from perfect. Newer apts. are usually good, but again you need to use the verticals - not the horizontals. Unfortunately I now lose the top of the building, but maybe you have more sky left in your original shot that you cropped out. Levels need some work too. Try this... I brightened the shot, lowered the blacks a bit and adjusted the vibrancy (A finer control of saturation affecting mostly blues and greens) a bit. May also be over sharpened as I see some jaggies, but that may just be because I am working off your uploaded jpeg.

Attachment keeps failing so I had to use a different method to get you this pic...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #66
jlev
Banned

While my time can be limited for being on the forum and website itself, I will start rereading the posts a little more carefully.

What I'm even also doing is posting what adjustments I attempted to make, rather then just posting attachments.

Poles anywhere aren't always straight, as I noticed, so I learned not always to rely on them for levelness.

I hope the one with the Metro coming out of the tunnel gets accepted, as well as this one. I know RP doesn't always take shots from high level platforms, of a train coming toward you on the same track with the same platform you are standing on.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #67
Joe the Photog

Any sentence that starts with "RP does not accept..." usually ends with someone posting the very examples in the database of shots that purportedly don't accept. I'll let other folks post the actual examples. The one thing tha confusesme about this thread is how this guy claims he doesn't have any time to do this or that, yet, here he is, posting new versions of old rejects (meaning double post processing) as well as coming to this board in the first plafe. With all honestly, not that you'll acknowledge you read this post, but you might want to spend more time coming up with new places to shoot rather than new ways to get old rejects in. Leave that last part to me. Old rejects are mostly what I've been getting in lately.)

I'm sorry. But I really don't have time to post this message.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #68
jlev
Banned

NYSubway18,
Here is some work that I did on that Metro shot of it leaving Grov-Strathmore. I tried to follow your format. I tried to pay better attention to the building, the lighting, and making the dark colors more natural.

I have been submitting old rejects, BUT I only submit ones that I have corrected, that I know would probably get in another time.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #69
Joe the Photog

I think that last one should get rejected for Bad Angle. It just doesn't look right. It might be level, but it just looks off.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #70
NYSubway18

That looks much better, but it still may get dinged since you are cutting off the top of the building. It leaves me wanting you to tilt up more. Once you straightened you lost the top which I guess you didn't have any more of. Unfortunately, it looks like a re-shoot to me at this point. But, keep tucking away each bit of advice you get and eventually you'll get there. Spend more time reading the forum, looking at the pics in the database, and re-shooting. Forget trying over and over to get each shot in. I know it's frustrating but eventually you'll see those early shots you took weren't worthy to represent your own work.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #71
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
NYSubway18,
Here is some work that I did on that Metro shot of it leaving Grov-Strathmore. I tried to follow your format. I tried to pay better attention to the building, the lighting, and making the dark colors more natural.

I have been submitting old rejects, BUT I only submit ones that I have corrected, that I know would probably get in another time.
Unlevel, noisy, oversharpened, and the colors are wacky.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #72
jlev
Banned

While its frustrating NYSubway18, it's not the end of the world. In fact, I have had a lot of shots accepted, but the past few months. I hit a brick wall, but mostly in April. This month, I have gotten more in, maybe not as many as I wanted to.

Just got done reading the posts of other members including yours. I will keep reading and benefiting from them.

Here is a shot of am Amtrak in Alexandria attached. I had to sharpen it a few times. I played around with the level settings to try to get the buildings in the background level. I'm sure this one will get in eventually.

By the way, how is the shot of the Metro coming out of the tunnel, that I posted a couple of times back in previous posts? I attached it again. fiddled with the lighting to make it better. Thank you.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #73
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
While its frustrating NYSubway18, it's not the end of the world. In fact, I have had a lot of shots accepted, but the past few months. I hit a brick wall, but mostly in April. This month, I have gotten more in, maybe not as many as I wanted to.

Just got done reading the posts of other members including yours. I will keep reading and benefiting from them.

Here is a shot of am Amtrak in Alexandria attached. I had to sharpen it a few times. I played around with the level settings to try to get the buildings in the background level. I'm sure this one will get in eventually.

By the way, how is the shot of the Metro coming out of the tunnel, that I posted a couple of times back in previous posts? I attached it again. fiddled with the lighting to make it better. Thank you.
I give up.
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #74
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Ahem..... Can you teach the rest of us how you "fiddle" with the lighting? There's a couple of shots I took when the sun wasn't out. Perhaps if ZI "fiddle" with it enough, it'll have pristine sun!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #75
Ween

I gave up awhile ago when advice was offered, examples were shown, the message was not getting across, and the circle of "I seem to have hit a wall" continued. There was no hint of growth in any of the areas of concern but the repeated "How about this one now?" type of thing. And now here we are 4 pages into this thread with advice given, little-to-no growth shown, admin weighing in, and "I seem to have hit a wall" type of statements with repeated attachments and attempts on shots.

I don't know, maybe this invisible text will unleash the clue bird as normal text and words don't seem to be doing it...