Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
jlev
Banned

Default Help please? I'm sure these will get in sooner rather than later.

Can someone give me advice on these rejects?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=473103237

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=643318059

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=689446&key=0

I even made some changes to some of them: they are attached

Last edited by jlev; 06-01-2009 at 12:54 AM.
jlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
NYSubway18

I like the first one the best - I would work with it, and forget the 2nd. I know they said bad color, but it really just looks underexposed to me. I would brighten it up, but be careful it doesn't oversaturate it. 2nd one is basically the same shot, but looks underexposed and flat. 3rd is OK, but common power from the same exact location.
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

The first one is without question the best of the three. The composition/cropping needs some work, it's soft, and the levels are messed up, but I think it's repairable.

The other two... I'm not sure they have the technical quality as shown to be "edited up" to acceptable levels.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
jlev
Banned

NYSubway or anyone, what are my chances of getting this shot in of Amtk P42 # 142. There's also another shot of VRE # 01.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

I did some work on the first one. It definitely needed some brightness/contrast work and was also pretty soft.

Chase
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3774_1243376488.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	861.6 KB
ID:	4103  
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I did some work on the first one. It definitely needed some brightness/contrast work and was also pretty soft.

Chase
Looks very good with the basic processing.

But is it level?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
jlev
Banned

What can I do to make this one better, of the Amtrak P42?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=689668&key=0

the Virginia Railway Express Commuter Train?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=326749410

I tried to make the shot of the VRE train a little lighter. It probably does need to be leveled a little more.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #8
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

John John John John John John John, this is starting to beat a dead horse, really. Your edit, the attached photo, looks good except the leveling. I think that's going to be the killer for that one. And the angle is also not too pleasing, but it works. Do you understand why it's getting hit for contrast? It's hazy, there is a gray film over the entire shot. Increase contrast slightly and up the exposure some. After that, I think you just need to let them GO. I'm not trying to be a butt hole but RP is going to start limiting, if they haven't already, your uploads per day.

Ben
Old 05-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
jlev
Banned

I shoot on sports mode, even though the trains aren't moving too quickly in those shots, obviously. Doing my best to work on brightness. Since the sun is often very hot in the summer, I notice that it creates for hazy shots.

What could I do to get the shot of Amtk P42 127 in?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlev View Post
I shoot on sports mode, even though the trains aren't moving too quickly in those shots, obviously. Doing my best to work on brightness. Since the sun is often very hot in the summer, I notice that it creates for hazy shots.

What could I do to get the shot of Amtk P42 127 in?
If you use Nikon, STAY AWAY FROM THE SCENE MODES!! They secretly cancel out options that are made available to you, had you shot using other exposure options, (Aperature priority ((A)), Shutter Priority ((S)), Manual Exposure ((M)))
you gain a lot more control of your photo.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
jlev
Banned

Road Foreman, the exposure modes that you listed, I never use. In fact, not only are they really a no no for RP.net, but in general.

milwman, thank you for the encouraging comment. I'm starting to see improvement in the VRE shot. What could I still do better? to me, it looks like the exposure is in place. I have learned not to be in a rush to get photos accepted to RP.net.

Before I send anything in, I will post my shots that I think are best, but for feedback. I will not attach easy rejects(i.e. high sun shots, shadows)
Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Road Foreman, the exposure modes that you listed, I never use. In fact, not only are they really a no no for RP.net, but in general.
I would agree with you on shutter and aperture modes, but in actuality manual mode is very much a yes yes on RP and also regular photography.

I want to be in control, because in the final analysis the fabulously advanced marvel that is a DSLR is just a dumb tool.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Before I send anything in, I will post my shots that I think are best, but for feedback. I will not attach easy rejects(i.e. high sun shots, shadows)
To get the best feedback you need to submit, then post the rejection link. That reduces the variables and makes the feedback more useful.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 05-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

John - You couldn't be making a bigger mistake.

1) You can't shoot RAW in those modes, can you?

2) The camera picks the ISO in Sports mode.

3) Assuming you are shooting on a DSLR, thoe automatic modes are honestly there for the consumer crowd, not for folks serious about their photography.

I say all this as a guy who used those settings for a long time myself, and boy do I regret it now.

I'm paraphrasing someone else from these threads here, but I can't remember who said it... Having a DSLR and not using the priority settings is like having a Porche and only using it to go grocery shopping. Take some time to learn your camera and once you do those settings will be the only ones you want to shoot in, and having RAW files will be very important to you, and you will be a happier photographer.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:00 AM   #15
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Are you kidding?
You've got to be kidding.
There's no response to this except to question the sincerity of the statement.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

You would think maybe his monitors off? Maybe it looks fine to him and off to us. That will confuse most newbies. jlev you will do fine but you will still have to teach yourself or find someone by you to help out. Work on the Monitor by getting the profile closer, Google (profiling monitor) to see what you may have to do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-28-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add more
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
jlev
Banned

Here is a shot that I tried to fix. I brightened it a little, adjusted the contrast by 1 click, and leveled it a little.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Here is a shot that I tried to fix. I brightened it a little, adjusted the contrast by 1 click, and leveled it a little.
That looks much better, Needs to be Just a bit lighter on my monitor, not that my monitor's at 100% right now. One thing you may have to do other things besides what thy nailed it for. And don't be in a rush to get photo's on here you will be better off.

Last edited by milwman; 05-28-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add 3 word's + add more
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
Ween

Quote:
What? Why are Shutter and Aperature modes a "no no" for RP???? I know there are folks that use those and not just for RP...I just never saw anyone here say, "I use Sports mode for my shots."

I think you need to understand what you're talking about a tad bit better before making (incorrect) statements like that...
Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #20
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
What? Why are Shutter and Aperature modes a "no no" for RP???? I know there are folks that use those and not just for RP...I just never saw anyone here say, "I use Sports mode for my shots."

I think you need to understand what you're talking about a tad bit better before making (incorrect) statements like that...

So Chris, this is what it would look like if his statements were true, "Reason for rejection; incorrect exposure mode used". Are you serious "jlev"????? I'm done with this guy!! Your on your own scooter!!! LOL

WOW!!!

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 05-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #21
jlev
Banned

Here's that VRE shot, only it was accepted.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=285400&nseq=0

I need pointers for this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1064047106
And one of the Washington Metro. I took this shot like 8:15 in the morning.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=793509157

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #22
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Here's that VRE shot, only it was accepted.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=285400&nseq=0

I need pointers for this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1064047106
And one of the Washington Metro. I took this shot like 8:15 in the morning.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=793509157

Thanks.
I really am sorry for speaking up again, however, us folk keep telling you what is wrong with your exposure, composition, sharpness and even the best way to use your camera and it's options yet, instead of really reading, understanding and even questioning the posts, you continue to post more rejects of the same caliber with the same problems. It is very apparent that you really lack the basic concept of the exposure modes that your camera makes available to you, the photographer. This is not a problem for an absolute beginner but, you have photos accepted to this site and I am at a loss as to why you cannot see the similarities in your rejections. Please re-read the posts on this thread, maybe you will read something that you have missed the first time that you have read through it.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #23
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
you continue to post more rejects of the same caliber with the same problems.
I think it maybe time to go out and shot some new ones if you can. Thinking about what you can be better and maybe plan a shot out ( see what it's going to look like before it's there) and bring some new shots to the table. You can do better.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:43 AM   #24
jlev
Banned

JRDMC,
Sorry to say this, but I think I'm doing my best. I have other tasks to deal with. I wish I could spend all the time posting on this website, so it might look like I'm not giving 100 percent effort, but I have other tasks to do. Yes, the Metro shot isn't the best. I think I oversharpened it. High sun issue isn't relevant, but I see that the sky isn't the best color. I am going to keep trying and learning. I think I'm reading too much, is my problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #25
Red Granite

I'm sorry but these quotes couldn't go by without comment.

Quote:
With all due respect, you, sir, are completely and unequivocally wrong. Your lack of photographic knowledge is clearly evident in your shots. You need to go back and re-learn basic Photography 101.

Quote:
I shoot on sports mode, even though the trains aren't moving too quickly in those shots, obviously.
See the below quote...this gentleman is absolutely 100% correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
...had you shot using other exposure options, (Aperature priority ((A)), Shutter Priority ((S)), Manual Exposure ((M)))
you gain a lot more control of your photo.
Exactly.

But I guess I've been doing it wrong for the past 20 years. What do I know. I guess Ansel was wrong too.
Red Granite is offline   Reply With Quote