Old 04-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #126
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It looks better that way. At any rate, the "correct" version has been re-uploaded to pacify you.
So, YOU fake a photo and the onus is on us to deal with it? Right.

By the way, why not just post the frame with the lead locomotive back "about 20 feet maybe" in order to get the reflection that you faked?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 04-22-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #127
coborn35

This is a Troy in a nutshell. He does make good points now and then but in the end...
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #128
J-Guy

Default Shameful and Disgraceful behavior

Quote:
People dont like the premise of this thread, so it's about me now...
People don't like the premise of the thread. The premise of the thread is your own arrogance.

You've thrown rocks at a professional photographer's work while deceitfully placing your own "work of fiction" in the public's view for adulation. When your "work of fiction" was called out and comments made you simply deleted THREE that I know of in your cover-up attempt.

Again, Shame on you.

Oh, and I've noticed Mr. Thomason never rose to your bait. Kudos to a PROFESSIONAL photographer.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #129
IHapsias

Quote:
I took 2 photos, merged one part of the previous frame. Plenty of people do / have done this, including a screener(s). It's not like fake snow, or the previously mentioned picture of the NS unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Actually, I'm not convinced this is apples to apples, but my memory is a little foggy. What have others done before?
Janusz, here's your refresher.

Not calling Chase out, nor am I sticking up for Troy.

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 308660
Photograph © Chase55671

Quote:
As for the exposure, this is a blend of two images. First, a 2" exposure of the depot which is well illuminated by a nearby street light. Then, a 1/640" exposure to properly expose the moon.
Here's the latest Casey photo, by the way.

Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 395815
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp

Last edited by IHapsias; 04-23-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 AM   #130
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
PhotoID: 395815
HORRIBLE!!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #131
bigbassloyd

Once again it's proven that nothing is more serious than railroad photography...

Casey could take better photographs, just like every photographer past, present, and future could have. The perfect photograph that pleased everyone has never been taken.

What a freaking sweet gig to have though.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #132
Mgoldman

Ah, Troy.... I thought that shot stood out above your previous shots at that location! Lol. Damn reflections always one step ahead of the subject! It irked me here:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 379525
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

In Chase's shot - he at least merged two scenes back together into one as all of us would have seen it had we been there, or returned to shoot. And, at least now, if not originally, the caption states the technique used to capture an otherwise impossible to capture single frame image.

As for the Interstate shot - strangely, my comment was rejected early in the day which is odd as it congratulated NS and offered links to all of Ron's Interstate shots, in addition to an Interstate web page. Though I've had and appreciate the good luck I've had with some comments, this one makes me wish there was a comment rejection notification. Seemed win win to me.

/Mitch
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #133
troy12n
Banned

For the record, I was not singling out Chase...

Plenty have done that, but at the end of the day it dont matter.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #134
Holloran Grade
Banned

Question Dan Valentine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBU32804 View Post
I agree, LOTS OF LIBERTIES taken with photos these days. You are NOT the only one. The difference? I don't see those guys on here bashing NS's corp photographer, telling the world what a "bad job" he's doing. Here's your kite. Go fly it. Better yet, go find that Karma Sutra book Kilroy mentioned on another thread that was raging near this one...you'll know the book when you see mention of it.

Dude, you've been there for a long time. You do a pretty good job of staying under your own Cloak Of Invisibility, I suggest you stay there. We just need an obit pic to go with your next post. Care to photoshop one for us?

WTF?

Don't like Troy, fine you have made your point.

Don't like what Troy has to say? - fine you have made your point.

Don't like how Troy composes, and/or processes his photos? - fine you have made your point.

Your continued spew is beginning to sound a lot like a Dan Valentine rant, or perhaps you are Sir RAT Dan.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #135
Freericks
Met Fan

I agree, as much as I don't understand the point of the original post and whining, and I don't agree with splicing two images together to create an image that wasn't actually what was there - there is nothing in either action that allows one to wish for someone else's demise.

That's just screwed up.

I'm not an admin, but this thread has clearly run its course.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-23-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #136
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
If I understand the relevant science correctly, we all are the result of a merger of two things!
Usually, but there are plenty of people that seem to exhibit haploid tendencies, and/or phenotypes and they seem to be more prevalent at steam events.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #137
Ween

Best thread in a long, long time!

RGB, sRGB, LAB, whatever...it's nice when one's true colors are so clearly revealed. I only wish Troy could Photoshop his life with better decisions!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #138
DragonWolf

Your all something else. You tell everyone that "its just train photos" and to "not take it serious" then go about a huge rant because Casey is getting paid for taking train photos. Oh and news flash, Ive seen horrible shots that "normal" people paid to have in tourist brochures. Ones much much worse then what RP would ever accept. Has this years CSX calender improved or is it still horrible?

Matt Sell
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #139
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
HORRIBLE!!
Have to say, that shot of the Nickel Plate scheme loco looks 'odd' - its like the only part of the shot with enough contrast is the lead loco. The rest looks awfully flat.

Should I also mention, cloudy sky, common power (the loco, not the paint scheme), and that the sky is blown out ?........incoming..................ducking for cover

I do like these heritage schemes though.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #140
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWolf View Post
You're all something else. You tell everyone that "it's just train photos" and to "not take it serious" then go about a huge rant because Casey is getting paid for taking train photos.
There are only two people in this thread ranting about Casey getting paid. Well, one, actually, as El Roco really hasn't ranted like Troy.

And, the people who are saying "it's just train photos" and "not take it serious" are not the ones ranting about Casey getting paid.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #141
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Your all something else.
Matt, it's "you're." Short for "you are." Just saying. Of course, here in the South, "y'all" would have been fine as well.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 04-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #142
Joe the Photog

Seriously, as someone who defended Troy earlier, I'm dumbfounded why he would call out anyone knowing what was hiding in his RP collection. It was also a pretty shallow statement to say that the only reason people are jumping in on Troy is because they did not like his stance on Casey Thomason and the NS heritage shots. Troy should know better as we often debate things back and forth here about any number of subjects from time to time and come back the next day and start over. It was a statement I'd expect for one of our teeenaged visitors who can't see his own nose. Not naming names. Just like in life, I guess it takes all kinds in railfanning and railroad photography. And that's about all I'm saying on that.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #143
Ron Flanary

Quote:

And, the people who are saying "it's just train photos" and "not take it serious" are not the ones ranting about Casey getting paid.
Just so you guys know, I'm paid by an anonymous source to post comments on this forum. It's a crap job, but someone has to do it.

Never take it "seriously"---anything.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #144
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Has this years CSX calender improved or is it still horrible?

Matt Sell
I just happen to have the 2012 CSX calendar hanging over my desk here at work, courtesy of an engineer friend. Pics aren't bad. Not great either, but not bad. At least one regular contributor here has a pic on the calendar - and it's a nice shot. Of course the idea of the CSX calendar is not to display great railroad artwork, but to spur employee involvement and pride in their line, and from that standpoint it is a success. I enjoy having it for my work calendar.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #145
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Point of Clarification:

Quote:
There are only two people in this thread ranting about Casey getting paid. Well, one, actually, as El Roco really hasn't ranted like Troy.

Just to make a clarification:

I have never blamed this debacle on the photographer, or alleged that he was incompetent in any way - he is stuck with what his employers give him.

And whether he is getting paid, or not and how much is completely is irrelevant.

My disappointment (and that is all it was) is with NS management for not supporting their photographer a lot more when it came to setting up the shots and putting them out there.

I mean how great would it be if you are the photographer to walk around the shop grounds and say ok, put it over there and move that out of the way - and if that is not the support that Casey got from his employers then I look at it as an opportunity squandered by NS.

Further, if RP management wants to accept these images for display on this site then that is their business and by the view numbers, I would say that was a sound business decision since support for the site is add driven and web site hosting and bandwidth is not cheap.

Lastly, the the fact that the thread has degraded to a bash on Troy fest is predictable (the mob always turns on someone) but in this case ya'all have met your match because Mr. Nolen is neither tiny, fragile or shy.

Slinging personal attacks his way (while entertaining) will have little effect and only make the slinger look childish.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-23-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #146
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Welcome New Member

Quote:
Your all something else. You tell everyone that "its just train photos" and to "not take it serious" then go about a huge rant because Casey is getting paid for taking train photos. Oh and news flash, Ive seen horrible shots that "normal" people paid to have in tourist brochures. Ones much much worse then what RP would ever accept. Has this years CSX calender improved or is it still horrible?

Matt Sell
Mr. Sell, nice of you to show up and put in your two cents.

However, you forgot to introduce yourself as one of the RAT's minions.

Consequently, I provide an excerpt for the viewing pleasure of all:

__________________________________________________ __________

Daniel Valentine
http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=15299

Lets face it, RP is no longer about "The Best". The NS heritage units turn pages. Ads popping everywhere! This puts jingle in Starnes and Kilroys pockets. They are not concerned about "image quality" when it comes to these units. It is the amount that their bank accts. grow everytime one is approved. This is where their concern is.

As long as Starnes and Kilroy can get richer over these NS shots, these crappy shots will be approved.

Rant: These Casey / NS staged photos of the heritage units Railroad Photography Forum
Friday at 5:37am

Eric Miller

They're all turning on one another...
Friday at 1:23pm

Mike Antal
The best part was the one who thinks that getting screeners choice, top 24's, and other RP awards constitute an individual as a professional photographer, HA! EL Roco has even gone through the trouble of making his own image of this group's image as his avatar, way to go there buddy. Somebody's a little too obsessed, all I do is point out the flaws. It's fun to watch them all jumping on one another, I just might remove all of my photos from that site, I forgot how many of them have let RP get to their heads.
Friday at 10:24pm

Daniel Valentine
There are too many individuals in this hobby that think RP is the standard of excellence. None of the screeners have any type of degree in photography. They screen to their "likes" both photogenic and personally.

So, if you adjust your photography to what the screeners like to see, and smooze them enough, you will get lots of your images approved on a daily basis.

On the forums, they argue like that because the "elite" think their opinions matter.
Saturday at 2:25am

Daniel Valentine
Troy Nolen is not hard to get a read on.
Saturday at 2:46am

Matt Sell
Reading thru that rant and I honestly believe that these same people that call you, Dan Valentine, crazy, insane, psycho, nuts and needing help know FIRST HAND on what their saying as they themselves are just that. They cant be happy NS is doing this, no they have to bitch about the tiniest of details about Caseys shots. I sense jealousy amongst the "elite". They bitch and moan but go this is just a hobby and to take it easy and not be so serious. If that where the case then there would be NO RANT at all on these photos but no. These assholes, all of them, the whole damn RP crowd from the screeners to major contributes. They can all go straight to hell. If I was at NS and read this post I would CALL OFF the heritage AND steam program. Get the heritage units back into the paint shops and repaint them all black. Then as further insult not put NS on the sides but put RAILPICTURES CAUSED THIS. And railfans wonder why the railroads hate us...there is no longer wondering but knowing.
Saturday at 9:28am

Daniel Valentine
Send them the link. The RP Elite is a bunch of un-appreciative assholes. I have known this for the past three years. It is groups like this that bring all the negative points of RP into one place.

The members, the screeners, the piss-poor images. It's all right here. "It's just a hobby"???? No matter how many times they type this, I know it's a lie.
Saturday at 12:08pm

Matt Sell
Couldnt agree more. IT IS just a hobby and Im not going to let RP have the better of me. RP doesnt want my photos...thats fine...Im not going to change my style to please them. Everyone has their own likes. Casey is getting paid to be the official NS photographer. That in turn makes Casey a pro (because in the world of art, its not a degree that makes you a pro, its when people pay for your art) And last, I am simply amazed. The "elite" going against the screeners...thats practically unheard of!
Saturday at 12:18pm

Daniel Valentine
Some of those members are on RP to do one thing. Make money for their work.

They have probably downed a few bottles of TUMS, thinking about how much Casey is pulling in, as the Company photog, charged with capturing these images of the Heritage units.

If you get lucky enough to get invited to one of these shoots, you have to agree, that your images will not appear in competition with the NS company images. For some of those people to capture those images, and then not be able to flaunt them????

No, no way could they do that.
Saturday at 12:25pm

Matt Sell
If I got invited to one mine would disappear into my archives. Dont want to even come even with Casey. NS is doing this for us. I dont want to be the one to screw it up.
Saturday at 12:30pm

Eric Miller
My greatest revenge on being rejected by RP has been to repeatedly get my photographs and writing published in the magazines, including six covers.
Saturday at 12:35pm

Matt Sell
To quote "The greatest generation"...To hell with them.
Saturday at 12:36pm

Daniel Valentine
What chuckles me, is when someone challenges me with..."Let's see your pics".

I am far from being considered a photographer. But I do know which end of the camera gets aimed at the train.
Saturday at 12:40pm

Matt Sell
I get that asked from time to time and so I direct them to my Deviatart page. The only criticism and rejection I get is when I upload shots to RP which I do very rarely. I get no criticism on my photos on DA.
Saturday at 12:51pm

Daniel Valentine
Just posted the "rant" link to the NS Facebook page.
Saturday at 12:52pm

Matt Sell
And I just replied to it! The idea here is to give RP a big black eye.
Saturday at 12:54pm

Daniel Valentine
Troy Nolen is taking a beating. He doesn't name Chastity, but he refers to her in the negative sense. It is a wonder he doesn't get tossed for doing that.
18 hours ago

Mike Antal
Did they take down the link on the NS FB page or something? I just checked and couldn't find it anywhere. HMM...

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-23-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #147
Joe the Photog

It's pretty awesome that the latest NS/Casey Thomason photo involves a... wait for it, wait for it..... reflection!!!

PhotoID: 395891
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #148
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's pretty awesome that the latest NS/Casey Thomason photo involves a... wait for it, wait for it..... reflection!!!

PhotoID: 395891
I like that one.

I also like the use of the umbrella.

See, they can get good shots in bad weather if they want to.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #149
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I like that one.

I also like the use of the umbrella.

See, they can get good shots in bad weather if they want to.
If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #150
Larry76

that may be - but this thread should NEVER had existed in the first place. Except those who have been there - most dont have a clue about the behind the scenes scenarios that take place when these are moved out for the first time. And HG - the shop people DO work with Casey to get them placed in the best open area as far as lighting etc goes. Ive been there for all of the Chattanooga unveilings. Shops are shops - they arent scenic in any sort of way but the first unveilings often arent designed to be a Van Gogh work of art - that comes later when everyone starts to get their chances at shooting them. Despite Troy's know it all persona here and elsewhere I never had a beef until this thread appeared filled with vaccuous comments and not one shred of actually understanding the process. He brought it on himself as far as Im concerned and Im not the least bit sympathetic. One last thing - if Casey is so bad and doesnt know what he's doing - then maybe he should take down his Roanoke 30th anniversary night shoot photos he has posted - after all it was Casey who provided the set up and lighting on behalf of the OWL museum. etc etc.
Closed Thread