Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
lock4244

Default Shot you like but know it'll get rejected...

A recent thread got me thinking about some shots I personally really like, but won't waste the screeners time since they'd very likely get rejected. I've got a bunch of them, as we all must. I'm not talking about shots that won't make the cut because they truely suck (blurry, blocked subject, cloudy/common), but more like one's that wouldn't meet RP's typical standards (ignoring the subjective aspect of what the screeners do). I've attached mine, so lets see what you've got... and explain why you think they'd get a thumbs down.

I'll do one for the moment. It's kinda obvious why I haven't submitted it... no nose light (it sure isn't a cloudy day). I love this spot, but given the current schedule, a train will never get sun in this valley, so I keep trying to get something good there. This is the best I have done so far. BTW, not a waste of time as the train moves very slow and it's along the route I chase it on, so I'm passing by anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1187.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	3663  

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 01-15-2009 at 12:40 AM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
jnohallman

It's true there's no nose light, but then again there aren't any distracting shadows or backlighting either. Are you sure it wouldn't have a chance with the screeners? I think the way the colors pop in the snow might give it a chance. But then I'm a relative newbie here, so I'd love to hear what more experienced posters have to say about the chances . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I'd give it a shot at the screeners, be willing to try anything once!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
JimThias

I like this one...but I have a feeling the weeds might be a no-go:

I really like all the stuff in this one:

And this...I love the compostion and the train looks intimidating to me, as it would to anyone driving up this road to the crossing and seeing this coming toward you. But alas...high sun:

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-15-2009 at 12:42 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
lock4244

Jim, I like the B&W shot. It's a crop I would probably do... I like the way rails curve away from (or towards) the main subject.

Here is another example of a location that won't get good light with current operations, so I keep trying to get a good one with what light there is. This would be my best effort at this location... largely due to the heaping of snow on the tracks. S&H tool also really helps bring out the details, and I tried not to over do it to the point of looking fake. Somewhat of a grab as there was a fella shooting a video at this location and already set up with a pretty prefessional looking camera... love to see that video.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CP-3113-8234-3043.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	3667  

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 01-15-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
Jim, I like the B&W shot. It's a crop I would probably do... I like the way rails curve away from (or towards) the main subject.

Here is another example of a location that won't get good light with current operations, so I keep trying to get a good one with what light there is. This would be my best effort at this location... largely due to the heaping of snow on the tracks. S&H tool also really helps bring out the details, and I tried not to over do it to the point of looking fake. Somewhat of a grab as there was a fella shooting a video at this location and already set up with a pretty prefessional looking camera... love to see that video.
Jesus Christ, Mike you really started to tempt me about going over and shooting the KLR instead of the OSR in Guelph.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaster_1
Jesus Christ, Mike you really started to tempt me about going over and shooting the KLR instead of the OSR in Guelph.
Oh I wouldn't bother if I were you, MDC. Slow train, boring non-MLW power, way too many trees

If you do on a weekend, lemme know... I'll meet you somewhere up there. Bring snow tires, BTW.

More Pics Here
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
It's true there's no nose light, but then again there aren't any distracting shadows or backlighting either. Are you sure it wouldn't have a chance with the screeners? I think the way the colors pop in the snow might give it a chance. But then I'm a relative newbie here, so I'd love to hear what more experienced posters have to say about the chances . . .

Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
I'd give it a shot at the screeners, be willing to try anything once!

-- Kevin
I would but (as most know) RP looks for shots that meet certain criteria in terms of lighting, cropping, clutter, distracting shadows, etc. To me the shots I've posted in this thread don't meet RP's standards, and I try only to submit shots that are more than likely to be shoe-ins... why waste theirs or my time?

Not that I think these shots are bad, I just don't think they're what RP is looking for. Personally, these are amongst my favorite recent shots.

More Pics Here
Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Thanks. I may try it...who knows.

Quote:
Nice location. Any chance you can shoot a train plowing through the snow on a cloudy day? I like the placement of the train as well...very effective with the snow-covered rails coming into the foreground.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Nice location. Any chance you can shoot a train plowing through the snow on a cloudy day? I like the placement of the train as well...very effective with the snow-covered rails coming into the foreground.
I've got quite a few shots there, but this one is the only one pushing snow. It's a really poor shot on a cloudy day, at least I've never been pleased with the finished product.

FWIW, this is the view of the train going the other way. If I get the train running eastbound early enough, it'll try to duplicate this, but with snow (and hopefully with a leader other than 3111).

Image © Mike Lockwood
PhotoID: 242195
Photograph © Mike Lockwood

More Pics Here
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
UCRP93

I know this isn't the greatest photo, but I like it. I know it would get rejected, but it is my fault for having the 18-55mm lens on instead of the 55-250mm lens. I could have gotten a better glint shot had I had the longer lens on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-3-09 photos 059-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	3668  
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
UCRP93

And alas, a couple more. I thought these were nice, but I know they aren't of the RP criteria. In fact, I probably didn't do the best of jobs on the "zoom" photo, but it was my first try at that method, and I thought it was neat. I wouldn't submit it to RP though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-23-08 photos 026-rp.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	3669   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-27-08 photos 018-1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	3670   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-31-08 photos 027-rp.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	3671   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-3-09 photos 084-1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	3672   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-13-09 photos 007-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	3673  
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

I already tried this one and it got rejected for poor composition. *unfortunately I don't know how to hyperlink a thumb nail so here is the link to the picture.*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagorailfan/3188905536/
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Well I was pretty sure this would get rejected for cloudy, I was curious but; after a few bad color rejects it sure enough did. I really liked the look of it and the fog coming out of the mountains in the background. But it was cloudy after all.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=278963682

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=622218&key=0
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:

It's really noisy?

Last edited by travsirocz; 01-18-2009 at 03:00 PM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #16
Joey Bowman

Ive tried a few times with this one, different toning, or even a color version. Never accepted, thats fine.

I tried one time, seems like it got the bad lighting rejection, no big deal. It is also a tad soft as well. I have a 10x15 inch print of it that looks incredible though.

This one never got in, seems like it got the PEQ rejection. Though there are many ways that I would love to reshoot this image, I will never have that chance for the rest of my life.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Dennis A. Livesey

Joey

I think the one of the engineer in the rusty bucket is a real winner. It does need something in image quality fixing to get in. "Levels" or "Curves" maybe?

You guys who know PS suggestions?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Joey Bowman

Thanks Dennis,

If this helps you, here are the other two version.

I think that the B&W version directly above is a little dark, it was also from an older edit. I edited these two back in March or April, when ever I took the original photo using 3 different exposures from the same RAW file. The file I posted in my earlier post was from a different edit in October or November of this year, I think that the toning needs to be cut back a little bit, other than that I do not know or really care to change much of anything else. I tried submitting it two different times, both times it got the PEQ rejection and I assume that since it is not of a female a real portrait will not get into RP.net
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #19
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I like the portrait, Joey. I choose the B/W version and agree that it needs something, but can't nail it. Definately a keeper for the PC Top 10 regardless.

EDIT: Here's my contribution to the thread:
http://johngage_51.rrpicturearchives....aspx?id=38895
Not really following suit since they all DID get rejected (PEQ).

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 01-20-2009 at 02:15 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #20
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
Had a go at it, went with extreme channel mixing off the color version, red +186, green + 84, blue -176, constant -12 (this in PSE with a channel mixer plug in). The crewman pops a lot more. Didn't spend too much time on it, just enough to convince myself that a different take was possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mickeycolorsmall2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	3684  

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:51 AM   #21
travsirocz

My quick take. One The problem I see is making him blend in. He looks like he was photoshopped in since he is so well lit and the cab is so shadowed.

Edit: I see my uploaded version doesn't match my PS version like usual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	color.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	3685  

Last edited by travsirocz; 01-20-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 AM   #22
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz

Edit: I see my uploaded version doesn't match my PS version like usual.
Isn't that the issue of color space, i.e. sRGB vs ADOBE RGB?

No expert here!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #23
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey
Isn't that the issue of color space, i.e. sRGB vs ADOBE RGB?

No expert here!
Everything I do is in sRGB from camera to processed photo. I think it is a windows issue?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
It's really noisy?
Yeah, the horn was blowing. Seriously, I don't see any noise, could you be more specific? You seeing it in the clusters of bare branches?

More Pics Here
Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
travsirocz

Quote:
Yeah, the horn was blowing. Seriously, I don't see any noise, could you be more specific? You seeing it in the clusters of bare branches?
I was just imagining being the screener who screens your photos.

Looks great!