Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
coborn35

Cool This is getting pretty old...

Three rejections for the same reason. This is exactly how the color came out of the camera, in that location that is what it looks like! I'm fine with the cropping rejection but as for the color they always give me the same one in this spot it seems like and I have no idea why! Color looks fine to me... Guys?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=240541081

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=891683987

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=726975&key=0

Is my computer off or whats the deal?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

What's you white balance set to? The shots you keep posting here look warm, very warm. I never thought of that before in your last post until now. What sticks out to me is the mountains in the background are blue. Not even a HINT of green to them. Even if you were to fix the sharpening and the color, the composition is less to be desired. The trees in front of you that are practically in your face does not do this justice. And if you were either to crop in or zoom in, the quality will be degraded. What do the trees serve as a purpose in the shot? What's so interesting about them? Nothing, they're just trees. Keep this in mind for future shots.

Ben
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Yup, I'm surprised the screener(s) didn't just say foreground clutter and move on.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Railfan Ohio

Look at the large amounts of sky. It is not blue in one of the pictures, instead it is cyan. Remember photos are not perfect right out of the camera and often need adjustments before uploading.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

You need to realize that the color isn't always correct out of camera. Did the camera or you make the correct white balance selection? Do you have it on landscape where the blues and greens are saturated? My old Sony Cyber-shot loved to make BNSF orange glow. They don't glow in real life!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
You need to realize that the color isn't always correct out of camera. Did the camera or you make the correct white balance selection? Do you have it on landscape where the blues and greens are saturated? My old Sony Cyber-shot loved to make BNSF orange glow. They don't glow in real life!
I don't know what type of camera the OP is using but most brands' DSLRs without interchangeable lenses tend to do this. I've noticed as my old Fuji S7000 did the same thing time to time. I thought the color was outstanding when I first got it but going through the photos now I need to spend a lot of time on color correction. Not to mention everything else.

Well, I took a look and I assume this was taken with the XS so it is a white balance issue. A little correction in PS or whatever editing program is used should do the trick but I still think the trees are a killer.

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 09-02-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
coborn35

i use a Canon XS and the reason I say I didnt change the color right out of the camera is as soon as I upped the saturation a tad it got a bad color rejection for too much saturation.

As far as the cropping I was really just waiting for the other Road Switch to pull up the ramp and thought it looked kinda neat to see them on the dock between the trees. No big deal its not a make or die for me plenty of opportunity to re shoot better angles.

And in the way background, those aren't mountains, simply Wisconsin, large horizon line in the Twin Ports, and they do look blue in real life. Believe it has to do with the lake.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 09-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Are you shooting in RAW? The saturation feature is only going to work with the colors in the picture, not fix the colors if they're bad to begin with. A white balance problem can be fixed in a RAW file in about three seconds.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
i use a Canon XS and the reason I say I didnt change the color right out of the camera is as soon as I upped the saturation a tad it got a bad color rejection for too much saturation.
Unless the screener left a comment saying that in the rejection notice, no it didn't. It got "bad color" because the sky is cyan not blue as was said earlier.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Color is more than saturation. PS is full of tools to manipulate the colors of an image... it's easy to burn through an hour or more once you start farting around with them without realizing it.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I hate cyan skies, and it looks like the screeners do too. Go into photoshop, ctrl-u, select the cyan channel, and bring the top slider like 15 points over to the right.
Problem solved.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
coborn35

Dont have photoshop at the moment, only using DPP. It was shot in RAW, white balance has been tried at both auto and daylight, same result.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

It clearly looks to be a white balance issue, so drag the sliders around to see what you come up with. (Meaning to try more than Auto and Daylight, if you haven't already.) I wonder if you set the bar to Daylight, then "cool" the WB off some to the left if that would work. If that doesn't work, maybe someone has a better suggestion.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Joes suggestion SHOULD work, as everthing that you're showing us is too warm. Other than that, I don't know. I picked my brain too much already over this.

Ben
Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

If you have DPP and white balance doesn't do the trick then go into the shadow, midtone, and highlight color sliders and make it right.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote