Old 07-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Cloudy day in B&W

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=149622
This was rejected for:
- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.
This was originally a color photo that I specifically turned to B&W to avoid this. I was actually very pleased with how this looked in B&W also, the glint looks very nice (in my opinion).
Anyway, what do you guys think.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
ssw9662

It is obviously cloudy, even from looking at it in black and white, and the power will be common as dirt before you know it (Actually it already is)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Very blurry too.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
busyEMT

I looked for other pictures by you on the site, and couldn't find any.

Your 2 pictures, that have been in the forums, have a 'Golden Spike era' feel to them. The images look old tyme.

As Warren pointed out, this one in question is blurry. I am not sure if it is your camera or the scanner which is causing problems. But the contrast is off as well.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Its probably the scanner. Most of the pics look fine as prints, but its the scanning thats doing it in. This print did have a slight blur, and that is probably caused by the 100 speed film I was using that day. I have since upgraded to 200 speed Fuji since it works better with my new telephoto lense. Oh well, maybe I'll just hold off on submitting here until I get my digital camera.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Robby

Looks to me like you might need to crank up the old shutter speed some. For moving subject, try to use 1/250-1/350s as a min and let the camera set the f-stop. If your camera is a pure point and shoot, the shutter speed could be preset at 1/60s and not adjustable in which case you need to upgrade to a little bit better camera. P&S types are great for landscape shots but fall short when shooting anything moving over 20 mph or so.

Converting this image to b&w didn't get you anything because the sky is way overexposed and blown out. B&W has a fine line of exposures when shooting with the sky included and it's overcast. Best to exclude the sky or get really good at cropping until you get some more shutter clicks under your belt and then even the best photographers have trouble getting it right. A really good rule of thumb for this site is that if you can't see any detail in the sky, it probably doesn't stand a chance getting accepted.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
This was originally a color photo that I specifically turned to B&W to avoid this.
Not to be a jerk, but light is light is light. Turning it to black and white isn't going to do anything about the light, just the color.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #8
mkuchta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Its probably the scanner. Most of the pics look fine as prints, but its the scanning thats doing it in.
The photo is very blurry. But, the blur seems to be evenly spaced all around the edges of the numbers on the side. That would imply something out of focus, either on the camera, or on the scanner. This isn't obviously a blur due to movement of the camera relative to the subject, just being unsharp. If the print is sharper, perhaps a check of the scanner's settings. Something does not appear to be focused properly.

-matt