Old 06-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #351
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the post

Mike, thanks for the post. I will be following the Conway City Council activities in the weeks to come.

I hope that the fears of the residents of Wild Wing will turn out to be unfounded, and the re-opening of the Vulcan plant will not be the
nuisance those protesting residents are wary of.

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #352
TheOldMan

Default Yesterday's City Council Meeting

Here is a report on yesterday's meeting of the Conway City Council.

The Opposition is not satisfied, so I suppose they will continue when Vulcan applies to get their permits to construct the plant.

http://www.wbtw.com/news/grand-stran...ard/1218704292

Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #353
ShortlinesUSA

Thank you for posting this update. Maybe Vulcan should have proposed it as a "Green, sustainable aggregate recycling facility to reduce the requirements to mine raw materials from the Earth." No one probably would have showed up in opposition at the meeting...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #354
TheOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Thank you for posting this update. Maybe Vulcan should have proposed it as a "Green, sustainable aggregate recycling facility to reduce the requirements to mine raw materials from the Earth." No one probably would have showed up in opposition at the meeting...
Touche on that one, Mike!

Old 07-24-2018, 02:07 AM   #355
ShortlinesUSA

One of my photos from last year's visit. Has it really been that long? Amazing. But here is an example of what y'all can do if you steal a few hours away on a family vacation, as I did here.

Image © Michael Derrick
PhotoID: 665302
Photograph © Michael Derrick

Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 AM   #356
TheOldMan

Thanks for posting the phot, Mike. The Facebook crowd reports a lot of gondola cars in the Lowes and Atlantic Center for Business and Industry recently.

Also, I was wondering if anyone here reads Railroad & Railfan magazine, which one Facebook poster said had an article on the possibility of RJCorman running an excursion train between Conway and Myrtle Beach, which seems highly unlikely for a long time to come, considering, that if things don't get stopped by the Wild Wing homeowner opposition, and Vulcan does get approval for its plans to reopen its crushed stone facility
outside of Conway, is predicted to be near the end of this year before the long unit trains return to that site.

Railroad & Railfan magazine seems to be hard to find, and the magazine article is said to have been prompted by a WPDE15 news report, which I was unable to find with searches on both Yahoo and Google.

Hope there is someone here who could fill us in on the details.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #357
ShortlinesUSA

I had to wrack my brain, but I knew I had heard something of this story. Local politicos are a bit ahead of RJ Corman on this one. Still much work to do. But I will say at least there is some chance of the company being receptive, as they operate the "My Old Kentucky Dinner Train" on their flagship line in the Bluegrass State.

https://www.myhorrynews.com/news/rai...9b32b4c08.html

Old 09-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #358
ShortlinesUSA

Looks like RJ Corman received some grant money from the NCDOT to help this facility become a reality. At least, that's all I can figure "an industrial park near Whiteville" would be.

https://www.progressiverailroading.c...-grants--55558

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Did anybody here know that RJCorman had bought the Georgia Pacific plant (is it between Chadbourn and Whiteville?) from Columbus County for something like 2 & 1/2 million dollars?

There was some news about a company that does something with railroad ties at or near that location, with a load of ties arriving there.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #359
ShortlinesUSA

Here we are looking at yet another catastrophic weather scenario for the line, as it looks like the brunt of Florence will strike the general area of the RJ Corman Carolina Lines. Hopefully this is not the third required rebuild.

My thoughts and prayers are with those of you in the storm's path. Be safe!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #360
TheOldMan

Thanks for the well wishes, Mike. I think considering how bad the storm could have been, I am very thankful it wasn't worse than it was.

Of course, now we have this horrible flooding, which is going to disrupt my own life, because I have some out of town work in Mullins, SC, which I obviously cannot do, until the flood waters go down.

And, I am also hoping the damage to the railroad won't be as bad as it could have been, although with both Mullins and Nichols flooded, and of course, Conway, with more flooding
on the way, it won't be good for the railroad.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #361
ShortlinesUSA

Looks like the flooding has been bad, but I guess subsiding at this point? I did go to Charleston to visit with my family, and read the paper there every day, and flooding seemed to be completely centered on the RJCS in Nichols and Conway at a minimum.

Any updates on how the railroad has fared in all of this? I really feel for all of the families losing homes and possessions, so please don't misinterpret that question. That's just a portion of the stories of misery the media is not covering at this point.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:58 PM   #362
TheOldMan

I had written a rather detailed reply earlier in the day but must have pushed the wrong button.

Mullins has come thru the flooding, although Conway and Nichols have still got a wait ahead of them.

I have seen some video taken by a drone and the Waccamaw River drawbridge, in the open for boats position, is flooded very high up onto the operators house. The depot in Conwayy is also flooded, after Ken Pippin reported on Facebook that he had moved things in the buildig to the highest levels there.

I think the Waccamaw level has come down about 2 feet the last I heard.

I had read reeports that Chadburn was flooded, but not now. There was some video posted of some lumber cars there, with 2 or 3 locomotives, moving those cars into the wye.

Glad to know that the track and rolling stock at that location are in operating condition.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #363
ShortlinesUSA

OK, this is good to hear, and thank you for the update. I am glad you are doing OK. Sounds like it will be a long road to recovery once the waters recede for many folks in that region.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #364
TheOldMan

Default Vulcan Plant near Conway, SC

Over on the RJCarolinas Facebook message board, which has the most dedicated and consecrated observers of that line southeast of the Waccamaw River, who contastantly post videos of train movements, along with still photos, word is that plans are going forward with Vulcan's reopening of their crushed stone plant outside of Conway. What is being reported on that Facebook page is rather vague and conflictiing, but I plan to keep following the story and will keepe the Railpictures board members up to date.