Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
bbrant

Default Composition/Balance

Hey all -

Can anyone give me suggestions on this one. It was dinged for composition/balance and I'm not sure which way to go. This is the second attempt trying to get this one on. The first one was also rejected for the same reason so I added a little more "breathing space" on the left ahead of the loco but that didn't fix it.

Any thoughts?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=6252302

For comparison, this is the first rejection.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...02&key=7456500

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:18 AM   #2
Mberry

They may not like the fact that engine is cut off, period.... in which case nothing you do will get this on rp. I would consider letting this one go for rp.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
They may not like the fact that engine is cut off, period.... in which case nothing you do will get this on rp. I would consider letting this one go for rp.
I don't know, they seemed to not mind the engine being cut off in this, but it has been nearly 7 years. Perhaps they've tightened up the screening a bit on cut off engines.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 291384
Photograph © Jim Thias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
JRMDC

I think the issues are more subtle. In Jim's shot the engine takes up most of the frame, in that the nose has passed beyond the center. In the current shot the nose is, not centered, but more centered.

Also, Jim's shot has a cool separation of engine and background with that white area. The current shot doesn't separate.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #5
bbrant

Thanks for the replies. I'm stumped and might keep this one in my personal collection.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm stumped and might keep this one in my personal collection.
The good news is you seem to have the pan technique figured out, your image looks technically pretty good. The challenge is to find a better opportunity. Jim's picture is a good example, better background and a more broadside view of the loco. You might also want to look through some of Mitch Goldman's pan shots, he's kinda the "panmeister" in these parts.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
miningcamper1

The leveling bothers me a bit. Some parts of the photo are level, but the front truck seems to be diving down. I rotated 1 degree CW, and like the result better.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
The good news is you seem to have the pan technique figured out, your image looks technically pretty good. The challenge is to find a better opportunity. Jim's picture is a good example, better background and a more broadside view of the loco. You might also want to look through some of Mitch Goldman's pan shots, he's kinda the "panmeister" in these parts.
Thanks! Jim's has a better blurred background with the loco sharp. Mine was at 1/30. I just need to lay off the caffeine so I can hold the camera steady. LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
The leveling bothers me a bit. Some parts of the photo are level, but the front truck seems to be diving down. I rotated 1 degree CW, and like the result better.
I messed around with the leveling because if I rotated CW, something didn't look right. If I rotated it CCW, something didn't look right. I settled on the yellow stripe of paint on the frame.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #10
RobJor

I guess everyone has their own take. Besides what has been said, the foreground(road) is dull and doesn't really show much motion. If anything at this location crop at the bottom and include more of the background? Maybe brighten it up a bit and give it a little pop.

At any rate Jim's is a different genre(what I surmise from the description), ie a pacing shot at half the shutter speed at 50 mph while not sure what the CSX speed is, .

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
At any rate Jim's is a different genre(what I surmise from the description), ie a pacing shot at half the shutter speed at 50 mph while not sure what the CSX speed is, .

Bob
Good observation, but as far as composition/balance goes, it really shouldn't be any different.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrant View Post
Thanks! Jim's has a better blurred background with the loco sharp. Mine was at 1/30. I just need to lay off the caffeine so I can hold the camera steady. LOL
1/30th?? Sheesh. I'm surprised you got any blur at all. I think Goldman hand-holds most of his pans at 1/13th to 1/15th. Here's one he did at 1/10th.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 556332
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:48 AM   #13
bbrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
1/30th?? Sheesh. I'm surprised you got any blur at all. I think Goldman hand-holds most of his pans at 1/13th to 1/15th. Here's one he did at 1/10th.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 556332
Photograph © Mitch Goldman
I have a loooong way to go before I'm as good as Mitch. Pretty sure he could get a decent pan shot of a snail.