View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
Decapod401

If the subject is the boxcar, there's too much other stuff to the left. If the subject isn't the boxcar, there's too much of the frame devoted to the boxcar. That guy standing next to the boxcar, the sideshow tent behind him, and the blue-white flags above the car aren't doing you any favors, either.

Had you stood about ten feet to the right, put the car's doors at the edge of the frame, and zoomed in a little, you may have had an image where the boxcar is an element of a scene. As is, you have a freight car roster shot with an unrelated scene to its left. You also would have eliminated all of the distractions that I listed above.

At the bottom of this post is a link to a photo that I posted some time back. Some friends and I arrived at the location, which we liked and had good sun. There was an orange and white gas pipeline marker in the foreground. A quick team effort to pick a bunch of tall weeds and lean them against the marker resulted in a shot where the distraction has been eliminated.

The takeaway here is when you envision a shot, determine if the composition makes sense, and then scour the scene for elements that detract, and make efforts to eliminate them.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586206/

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote