View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #13
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
In no particular order:
- Photography is subjective. Screening seems not to always recognize that. Screeners should be more flexible in evaluating shots that were not done the way the screener might have done it.

- if I may play amateur psychologist for a moment , screeners should think deeply about how much the screening process results in better photographs vs just being personal preferences. Photography is subjective. Perhaps step back and question how much value is provided in screening, for photos of a certain general quality level. I can understand rejecting trash, but there are lots of shots where the screening isn't actually resulting in "better", it is simply narrowing the range of acceptable.

I could write more, that is enough for now...

good luck on improving RP
I appreciate your insight, J and am glad to see your contributions both in this forum and on the site. I am vaguely familiar with those threads created by Mitch, but in an effort to better follow suggestions, I felt that an entirely new thread would be most effective.

Subjectivity on RP has been an ongoing debate for a long time... When concerning abstract photos or new and creative efforts, I always try to give a photo every chance of being accepted. Creativity is encouraged as long as it's somewhat consistent, relevant, and technically correct, it'll be accepted. When screening oddball and out of the box scenes, I think that introduces the most amount of subjectivity.

The rest of the submissions are more or less by the book. With hundreds of photos each day, it's very easy to detect bad composition, color, cropping, etc. when you're reviewing many images on a daily basis. Subjectivity doesn't play a role in images that are being judged for technical standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
First off Chase, I appreciate the post and the reaching out to us this way.

This problem, which JRMDC mentioned and Troy and Carl reiterated is to me the most frustrating part of the screening process and the one most in need of improvement. For those of us with limited slots per day, there is nothing more frustrating than getting a bad cropping, fixing that, getting bad contrast and fixing that...... and then getting a PEQ or some other killer rejection. Sometimes 5 or 6 minor rejections, and then a killer rejection. Yes, different screeners with different viewpoints, etc., but as I've mentioned in other posts, it would save both screeners and photographers a lot of time if killer rejections are given earlier, or maybe if there is a way for resubmissions being screened only based on the previous rejection (i.e. is the cropping better now? yes or no) and not screening from scratch for every resubmission.
Hi Michael, thanks for your input. I do understand how limited slots per day can discourage one from making corrections and resubmitting those corrections efficiently. It slows down the learning aspect of the website and can be frustrating, too. I think that as a photographer displays respect and the willingness to learn, those daily upload limits can be increased without the necessity of an elite membership. In many cases, administration has selectively increased daily upload limits of photographers who express genuine interest in learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
That being said, trivial rejections are the worst. I would say this is the main reason that accomplished photographers are leaving.

After the rejection issue, I would have to say the site is dated and needs a refresh. I think that people, such as myself have become bored with the site want something new.

Obviously, this is not the internet of 10 years ago. The screening of the comments and the emails that were a good idea in the '90's are now old fashioned since they slow the overall site interaction. The internet of today is instant and waiting for snail mail like responses is a little silly.

This is the Facebook era and RP must catch up.
Hi Dennis, good to hear from you, too! I think Railpictures was in desperate need of a facelift many years ago. The redesign of the website and the introduction of new features has drastically increased the appearance of the website in my eyes.

Additionally, we're more involved today in social media than ever before. I think the interaction through social media has helped us reach out to the community as well as promote our database and its most popular photos.

Keep the comments rolling! While I didn't address everyone, I'm very appreciative of the insight and am taking notes on everyone's recommendations.

Thanks,
Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote