View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Single track does not equal meltdown...
It has happened many times on the C&O between Richmond and Newport News over the past 15 years or so because of decreased track and yard capacity. Any dramatic increase in trains will = meltdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheTiger View Post
CSX holds trackage rights on the Buckingham Branch Railroad (the old Mountain and Piedmont Subdivisions) which, in essence, creates a double track mainline between Clifton Forge and Richmond. Loads will travel east on the James River line and empties will return on the Mountain line.
Which does not help the situation EAST of Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
It just means you have to manage your capacity more wisely...when you run trains, how much spacing between them, etc. I forget what line on CSX it was (I want to say the former Clinchfield main) that used a "slot" system in which all trains going in one direction would be two sidings apart, allowing for the trains coming in the other direction to occupy every other siding. All of the trains going one direction would run to the second siding, meeting the train going the opposite direction in the first siding, and they'd keep alternating like that. I guess they were able to wring quite a bit of capacity out of the single track main using that technique. If you need further evidence, look at NS' Rathole.
I'm not saying it cant be done, but having seen this happen many times in the last 10-15 years, I know what is coming. Maybe I am wrong though. Also you have to realize that this line now hosts a few passenger trains, which the Clinchfield and Rathole do not, which makes your dispatching less flexible if you want to keep any semblance of schedule for Amtrak.

The SCL used to have a coal loadout at Portsmouth, but I think it is long gone after they gained access to Newport News in the CSX merger.

Last edited by troy12n; 03-16-2010 at 03:58 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote