View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
amtk_cr_pc

Doug:

Thank you for the tips. You certainly have made a name for yourself in scanning/processing slides, and I hope I am working toward that level of quality. I also tend toward global adjustments (except for dust and other isolated marks), though I have experimented with nose treatment with mixed results. The GM10B test train shot (http://www.railpictures.net/photo/690368/) is the only image where I did more extensive 'spot' nosework. I am not for submitting borderline material, but I made a go at it for the historical value of the shot, (I would not have pursued it further if rejected). I am still trying to find the 'sweet spot' of preserving sharp details and appropriate processing for atheistic quality. I acquired Elements last month for $69, but I did gave Lightroom a look. I might try it at some point for comparison. I feel that the Vuescan and the PIE scanner have proved a potent mix with good initial results, though I am not sure my settings are optimized. Would you mind sharing some of your Vuescan settings in more detail? I am at work right now, but I can share my Vuescan settings later on for comparison.

Miningcamper:

It was one of the first scans I worked on, and I didn't exactly know what I was doing when I made the adjustments. Not that I am some expert now, but I have done a lot more experimenting in the last week or two, and am starting to see how some techniques work better than others. It is indeed quite easy to induce 'halo-ing' on the details, and that has bit me on some rejections lately. That E60C slide is a bit dark to begin with, so I likely will work it up just a bit for the Smugmug collection and move on. I have another slide of a Navajo Mine E60 that was exposed much better.

Thanks again, guys.

Last edited by amtk_cr_pc; 03-13-2019 at 12:51 PM.
amtk_cr_pc is offline   Reply With Quote