View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I have the Canon 6D. One of the best things Canon did since the 40D is Auto Sensor Cleaning.
Menu>Wrench 4>Sensor Cleaning>Auto Cleaning>Enable.
Now every time you turn on and turn off the power to the camera, the sensor will shake off the dirt. This works 97% of the time for me.
I do have to remember when I change a lens to turn on and off during a shooting session.
I used to clean my 20D sensor since it could not do it itself. I hated that for I never could get it truly clean.
I have never cleaned the 6D manually in the 4 years I have had it.
Any spots that showed up was because I would be outside, changing lenses and not turning the camera on and off at least several times during a long session.
I've not found the piezoelectric shakers to be that effective. Most of the dust that sticks either has to be blown off or wet-cleaned. My solution is not to change lenses outdoors. That really helps a lot. Not changing lenses on the fly also helps avoid lens-drop accidents....and missed shots. If I have to clean it, I have a sensor scope with LEDs, and I use the Delkin Devices swabs and cleaning solution. I find that I end up going through several swabs before I get it acceptably clean. The first pass usually makes the problem look worse than it was to start with.

Somebody out there wanna make a fortune? Invent a self-cleaning digital camera sensor that really does clean itself....vs. simply vibrating.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote