Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Great thread title. I'd love to know what's going on with these two photos:

Image © Walt Landi
PhotoID: 512658
Photograph © Walt Landi

Image © Walt Landi
PhotoID: 512783
Photograph © Walt Landi
I haven't contributed much to RP over the last year and a half ... a new home, longer commutes, re-prioritization of how I choose to spend my free time, and horrible internet service at home have conspired against what had been my RP time. Seeing these two, shall we say, rather artistic representations of Marias Pass being voted as the two most choice photos of the prior week makes me wonder whether I should bother contributing again in the future. Isn't the purpose of RP to be a gallery of images more or less accurately representing what the photographer saw? I've been to Marias in winter, and I can unequivocally state that I've never seen purple plows on locomotives, orange shadows under bridge, or entire mountainsides that had been pissed on by the collective bladders of every wild animal in the Rocky Mountains. I suppose I'll have to look for these elements when I visit again next month.

Come to think of it, I have once before found snow that looked somewhat like that, but on a much smaller scale:
Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 304262
Photograph © David Honan

Anyway: I know this site is supposed to be about sharing one's work to be viewed by others, not about popularity contests, but still... if this is the new standard for excellence, a bar set so high that a slug could jump it with inches to spare, and such wild misrepresentations of reality are what the majority of viewers now find most appealing, is there a point in posting my boring, properly-colored, realistic work when it seems nobody is going to care?

(Full disclosure: Mostly, this post was a contrived excuse to rail against two horribly processed images that I still can't believe were accepted in the first place, much less were voted as the top two PCAs. But wow, it's been so long since I've regularly contributed on the forums that I've moved twice since last updating my signature. I'll start submitting to the database again at some point...)
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote