View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
Thanks guys for your help. It was important to deal with nose light issue. It affects a lot of the shots I submit and many of those accepted including the other two of this train have incomplete nose light. I didn't take the shot closer and wider as intended due to intrusion by other chasers. My photography gets mocked here (along with RP) for fixating too much on aspects such as nose light. You guys are probably right that I do need think more of composition.
Hi John,

I have the opposite problem. I have a tendency to go too wide, trying to capture all of the plume and lots of nearby scenery. I like to shoot scenes that contain a train. As a result, I often need to crop more than I would like. That's one of the reasons I picked up a D850 (45 MP). Of course, that camera also magnifies the flaws in one's technique.

I am with you on the issues with chasers wanting to get too close. I guess I never understood the need to be right next to the tracks, especially the video guys. When I look at stills or video, I don't ever like the feeling that I am about to be run over by the train I am looking at.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote