View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #44
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

I agree there is a certain amount of fad-isum and novelty but that is true of all technological advances. And yes I expect a lot of dross aerial photography to assault our eyes.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed immensely the work of Gary Knapp, Sean Hoyden, Thomas Nanos, Stephen Husser, and Peter Lerro. I am glad they got those tools to do their night work.

I therefore am eagerly looking forward to masterly made photos from angles never before seen in human existence.

I'm in my ninth year doing night flash shots and still enjoy it over every other kind of foamer photography. I'm constantly trying new ideas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96826069@N00/16257987122/

I find it a LOT more challenging than shooting in the daytime (or maybe it's just a lot more work?) I compare daytime foaming to antelope hunting, and night time to duck hunting. (One emphasizes speed and covering a lot of ground; the other is about picking a great spot, setting up the perfect spread, then patiently waiting.) The copter stuff has great potential, but I need to wait until either it gets cheaper or the gear gets more able to withstand crashes. Like I said, the winds where I live are brutal. They've already done hundreds of $$ damage to my lighting gear over the years.

Are copter shots and flash shots a new fad? To some extent yes as there are a number of those who will jump on it and quickly get bored. This has happened with fisheye lenses too. I wouldn't call flash shots a new fad though as it's been around for decades. Everyone knows O.W.L., but there was an even more accomplished photographer than he dating to the early 1930s. His night work remains unsurpassed and his books are still good sellers after 80+ years. Ariel photography seems to have gotten it's start with the great Nadar in 1863, from a specially built manned balloon! Think of it--in 1863 the cameras required you to mix up chemicals on the spot in a dark bag and take the shot before the emulsion dried (wet plate/colloidion), and then process the plate immediately! Tough enough in a studio setting, don't even want to think of doing it in the air. In the early 1900s, when lightweight roll film was available (e.g. B2), people would attach small lightweight cameras to kites, fly them up high, and trip the shutter with a string. I'm not aware of any train shots done this way though. It was a fad at the time, but as we see the idea has never really gone away.

Kent in SD,
(resident photography historian)
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote