View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #24
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
Ive had a few interesting run ins with LEO's.

One a friend and I were shooting NJ transit on the Raritan Bay Bridge, and after getting back to my car, a police officer approached us and asked for our ID and my registration and insurance because "We were on private property and vioalting "THE TERRORISM ACT". When asked what exactly that was, we got 10 seconds of stammering and then "Its illegal to take pictures of passenger trains on bridges after 9/11. I can arrest you and hold you for 48 hours for no reason at all." After about 10 minutes and another officer reporting, the first office gets out of his car and starts walking towards us, and as he does a passenger train slows down for the bridge, and the engineer leans out the window and yells "HEY! YOU GUYS GETTING GOOD SHOTS OF US TODAY????" The office whips around and gave the engineer a look that could have cut the locomotive in half. He turns back to us and we are smiling, knowing her has nothing on us, He shoves my license and paperwork into my chest and says "I dont want to see you hear again. If i do, ill arrest you." My friend asked "On what grounds?" The officer mumbled something as he walked away.

We head over to the other side of the bay for a better angle and as we are on a pier, a cop walks up to us and asks what we are doing. Tell him we are taking train pictures. Asks if we are getting good shots. We tell him yes. He says "alright. Have a good day and be safe."
That is the scariest part of all this. I know many cops so not a cop hater at all but people like this are f***ing scary. Who knows how much damage a nut like that could cause. You should have reported him.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote