View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
KevinM

All of the cameras you mention will probably do the job for you. If you are thinking of going to the higher end (D7100/D7200, etc.) your options are to take advantage of the low prices on the current models, as they are all due for a refresh. At least they are proven technology. You could wait for that refresh and get the latest and greatest in 2017....but my only caution is that lately, Nikon has had some issues with quality on new releases. The D600 and D750 are examples of the latter. I have a D750 as my second camera and it functioned great for a year. It wasn't even included in the initial recalls. Then suddenly, right in the middle of charter season, it started acting up. Within a week, it developed ALL of the issues that were all over the internet, including a shutter freezing problem that Nikon wasn't admitting. It eventually froze completely and became useless. To their credit, Nikon fixed it at no expense to me and even paid for shipping both ways. Unfortunately, during the 10 days it was gone, I ended up having to rent a D750 for a charter that I'd paid for and that cost me a hundred bucks out of pocket.

My advice is: "Don't be limited by your equipment." Make a list of the features that are important to you and proceed accordingly. The D3400 may be all the camera you need, but it if it turns out not to be, it will cost you more in the long run to find that out the hard way.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote