View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #25
KevinM

Question

Darn! I was just looking for an improved D80...with some sort of dust elimination capability and maybe a better sensor. I have been eyeing the D80 for some time as I have pretty much outgrown my D40X. I haven't got much interest in video....just another thing that can malfunction, from my standpoint. Perhaps I should just grab a D80...or maybe a D300, now that the 700 is out. There may be clearance sale prices on the now pitifully obsolete D80 and D300.

Question about the ISO specs on the D90: My D40X is allegedly ISO100 capable and I use that setting all the time. But I have always thought my camera was "dark" when compared to similar-featured Canons. At ISO 100, I'd meter on a scene in bright afternoon light and come up with something like 1/250 at f8, while a Canon-shooter standing next to me would be able to shoot 1/320 or 1/400 for the same aperture. Could it be that the ISO 100 setting on the D40X (and other Nikons) isn't as strong as other brands????? I thought ISO was an international standard. Now, I see the literature on the D90 talking about a base ISO of 200 and I'm even more convinced that the Nikons are a bit on the "dark" side.

Any thoughts on this?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote