View Single Post
Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
bnsf sammy

Default Re-creating a RP.net photo.

Just for kicks, I went on Microsoft Train Simulator last night, in search of going to the same location that this photo was taken.
Image © Larry Larson
PhotoID: 33479
Photograph © Larry Larson
Well, after several attemps of trying to pinpoint where the place is, (i'm no where near the Montana area, let alone Marias Pass) I found it and I kept a log so other people can visit it. If you want go to the place on MTS, heres what I did: I started with a pair of BNSF Dash 9's with 30 grain cars and started in Essex heading toward Whitefish yard. I choose summer, clear and about 10 AM. So I started in Essex near MP 1170.2 and heading for about 15-20 minutes at 40-80 mph. I passed Pennacle MP 1173 and Red Eagle MP 1185.6. Finally after heading over the Nyack switch, I saw the famed river on my right and started slowing down watching for the 2 tunnels and then the long right turn along the river where the shot was taken. Sure enough, the 2 short tunnels came, and the right turn came. I made it! Unfortunately MTS didn't offer the correct external view to capture the train like Mr. Larson did, but seeing it in the simulator was pretty cool anyways.

Last edited by bnsf sammy; 01-11-2006 at 03:32 PM.
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote