View Single Post
Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #5
Noct Foamer

From the rejection message:

A level horizon, in most cases, should be ascertained by ensuring that an object which is known to be vertical, such as a structure, nearest to the center of the frame aligns with the grid lines in your photo editor.

(from rejection message)

Exactly what is known to be level in this photo? Really, not much. The only possibility I could see are some of the ice formations. Even there you have to be careful as most are tapered. There is one or two that appear to be straight sided. Water would flow straight down the non-tapering ones, most of the time. Even that can lead you astray if the wind was blowing the water laterally as it was pulled down by gravity. In nature there is very little that can define "level". Examples would be the horizon, but only on an ocean, water falling straight down unimpeded, etc. Buildings? Where I live most of the buildings along the tracks were built a hundred years ago, without firm footings. You can actually see many of them lean, they are so out of plumb. I think some of these people go WAY overboard with this "level" deal. The only way to make sure a shot like above is level is to use.........a level. (on the tripod head before taking the shot.) Don't be surprised if a shot that is leveled up using a sensitive digital level to three decimals is rejected as "unlevel." Like I said, there really are few if any visual clues as to what level is in nature. Rant over, resume your regular programming.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote