View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 03:03 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

One of the best aspects of life for me as of late has been meeting and shooting with people who's work I have long admired and striven to emulate. The conviviality, the support and exchange of ideas is beyond wow for me. I think these photos speak of those influences.

Here is a mix of favorites and popular shots of mine from 2015, in no particular order.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 557621
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

This view of Manhattan, Brooklyn and the F train was my best location discovery of late. This was a case of tenacity for I went to this location about 5 times over the course of a year before I finally got one that captured the drama I thought the view deserved.

PhotoID: 548405

This view of Steam Into History's North Central Railroad No. 17 did not get many views on RP but remains a favorite of mine. I like it because it was the successful rendition of the image I wanted to get. With steam, the goal is often to time travel and here I think it shows what train travel at dusk in the mid 1800's was like. Unlike surviving Civil War era B&W photographs, we get and idead that life back then was full of color and beauty in spite being a time of travail.

PhotoID: 553852

This shot was taken from a new vantage point in New York City, a parking garage of a shopping mall in Harlem. While still I dream of helicopter views of this singular structure, the Hell Gate Bridge, this one came close.

PhotoID: 559332

The restoration of any steam locomotive is always a celebration. However what Railway Restoration Project 113 did can only be described as a miracle. Against all odds, working on a shoe string, with no more than a tarp tent, they brought back a corpse from the dead. This shot speaks of the magic that is steam. Here 113, the sleeping dragon, awakes for another day in the sunshine of it's new life.

PhotoID: 541318

How many times I have read about and seen photos of this legendary tower at Rondout Illinois. How often I have wished I could visit. I finally do and instead of an active tower and Milwaukee F-6's flying low, the tower is closed days before my visit and I get MOW critters in the rain. Farewell Rondout, I hardly knew ye.

PhotoID: 537629

I have seen N&W No. 611 twice. Once in 1982 and the other in 2015. In the latter visit, instead of being alone and lost like the first time, I am with friends and hosts that know the territory. On this occasion, I get a shot that fulfills a long desired wish to see big steam at it's finest. Here is a home road engine on track it was designed to conquer and what a sight it was to see.

PhotoID: 531819

My first train ride landed in Grand Central Terminal and I have had a love affair with the place ever since. With a little research, the presence of these stones came to light. No adequate photo could be found so I made like Indiana Jones and did the pilgrimage to the upper Bronx.

PhotoID: 527740

Dramatic space. That is the singular feature of GCT and it never fails to inspire. This shot was the lead photo, and the only B&W, of my "Transitscapes" feature article in Railfan & Railroad magazine's August 2015 issue.

PhotoID: 525137

New York, for all it's breathtaking skyscrapers and above ground wonders, has much to be seen in it's nether regions below. If there was a contest for what is the ugliest subway station in NYC, the J&M lines Chambers St would most likely take the honors. On the other hand, for time travelers it represents true rara avis since it is here that you can see time. Outside of the decay, nothing has be touched here since it was closed in 1931.

PhotoID: 524268

The image is what it is. What I can add is do not be discouraged if all you have is a dirty, scratched Lexan window to shoot out of because you are seeing the results of what I had to work with. I am amazed myself it looks any good.

PhotoID: 521824

In the tumult of urban living, with big machines squealing by each other, it takes a still photo to find a tranquilly out of light and pattern.

PhotoID: 558211

Like the Chambers St station a thousand feet away, the City Hall Station is preserved in the amber of unrestored benign neglect. Note the absence of a lick of graffiti in either station. Surely that is another modern miracle.

PhotoID: 559533

I have done a total of two pace shots in my life. In both instances Mitch Goldman was in the car. Obviously I feel he is the reason either of them came out OK.

PhotoID: 559383

What can I say? Every since I was little, I have been a sucker for wreaths of steam.

There are my personal and RP favs of 2015. I hope you enjoyed the tour.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777

Last edited by Dennis A. Livesey; 01-03-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote