View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Honestly, I have found that the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 VR is probably the best train lens around. It is wide enough and long enough for 90+% of the shots I'd want to take and is decently sharp. I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 and while it's a nice lens, it doesn't have the reach, it doesn't have VR, and when I shoot them both side-by-side off a tripod, I can't tell the difference.

Lenses are the most crucial thing about photography. Cameras are about last. The idea is to match the lenses to what you are using it for. I used the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 a lot for weddings. Along with a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR these were the only lenses I really needed. An f2.8 zoom is exactly what you need for weddings as they are dynamic and generally have low indoor light. The 24-70mm f2.8 is a great lens for weddings on an FX body, but it just isn't wide enough on a DX. A lens like that is really more specialized, where your 24-120 f4 VR is a much better choice for "general purpose." The VR really helps and it has a greater range. Image quality is excellent. The Nikon (and Canon) f4 series are great choices in that they are top quality, more affordable, and lighter/compact to carry. I've been using f1.4 lenses since I shoot at night. While I very rarely shoot at f1.4 (DoF is very limited), they are easier to focus in the dark. My choice of lenses is great for the kind of shooting I like to do best, but I find I am a bit crippled on a daytime chase when the action is fast. I can't zoom, and changing lenses does slow me down. The Nikon 24-120mm f4 or Sigma 24-105mm A f4 would be a much better choice for that. Match the lens to what/how you are shooting.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 03-14-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote