View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetrain1983 View Post
This one is of an eastbound BNSF manifest stopped short of a crossing by Pompey's Pillar, Montana on July 10th. Probably the biggest problems (that aren't listed above) are 1, the train getting distorted by haze and heat after a few cars and 2, high sun. But I figured it was worth sharing here anyway, in case there's hope for it.

I was just out that way a couple of months ago. It was a family vacation so I didn't shoot many trains, but I do have some thoughts. This is honest constructive criticism, which I think you are after. Most all of your shots are close ups of engines. They really aren't telling much of a story. When you are out in wide open places you have the ability to shoot from a distance. What that does is give the -feeling- of being there. It tells the story of the environment the train is operating in. There are a lot of places there you could have climbed up a hill and taken a shot from a mile away, and put the entire train into a photo. There aren't many places in the rest of the U.S. you can do that. Did you ever take advantage of that? You shots have definitely improved--you are paying more attention to the direction of light, and your compositions are improving. I too like the one BaggyDave mentioned. I'll give you one more word of advice: polarizer.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote