View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 03:54 AM   #1
spacetrain1983

Default Some new ones I've taken in the past few months

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I posted anything to the forum, but over the past few months I've gotten some new shots, with dates spanning from July 1st to September 9th. These are the 14 best ones out of nearly 1,000 pictures I took in that period of time.

There are too many to fit in one post so here are the first 8, the last 6 will come in a reply.

There are some repeating problems in these that are easy fixes now that I have found a good photo editor, so I'll just address them all right now.
1. Most, if not all, of these need sharpening.
2. Most, if not all, need to be brightened.
3. Most, if not all, need to be leveled.
Those are problems that are prevalent throughout many, if not all, of these pictures. I know they exist, and I am able to fix them with ease. All of these photos, as you see them attached, are un-edited except for resizing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6323.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	645.6 KB
ID:	9502
Took this on July 1st. Ballast train tied down in Kuna, Idaho. Maybe the lighting isn't so great, but maybe it was just underexposed, not sure.

Name:	DSCN6464.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	754.6 KB
ID:	9503Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6465.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	9504
These two are of a BNSF oil train climbing MRL's Bozeman Pass in Montana on July 8th. I already tried submitting the first one (train further away) to the site, but it was rejected for the train not filling enough of the frame, which is why I have included the 2nd one with the train closer. The reason I even submitted the 1st one was to include the shadowed mountains in the background. I will admit, there is quite a bit of noise/grain showing on the mountain in the 1st one, so if it hadn't been rejected for the train being too far away, I'm sure it would have been nailed for noise.

Name:	DSCN6604.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	756.9 KB
ID:	9505
This one is of an eastbound BNSF manifest stopped short of a crossing by Pompey's Pillar, Montana on July 10th. Probably the biggest problems (that aren't listed above) are 1, the train getting distorted by haze and heat after a few cars and 2, high sun. But I figured it was worth sharing here anyway, in case there's hope for it.

Name:	DSCN7057.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	9506Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7058.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	797.9 KB
ID:	9507Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7059.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	805.0 KB
ID:	9508
These 3 are of a BNSF coal train climbing BNSF's famous Crawford Hill in Nebraska on July 13th. The middle one is the one I originally attempted to submit, I don't remember what it got rejected for originally but I think it was sharpening. Anyways, for the sake of it, I included the shots before and after that one. The first one, where the train hasn't even begun to round the curve yet, is probably the "worst" of the 3, as so much of the train is in shadow, but I chose to include it because it shows the landscape (well, as much as you can call Nebraska farmland "landscape"). If any of these 3 have a chance, it's probably the 3rd, but I'm not sure, so I'm putting all 3 on here.

Name:	DSCN7154.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	791.7 KB
ID:	9509
And the last one for this post, on July 14th, a UP local in Idaho Falls, Idaho. The only real problems I can see with this are 1, all the wires and 2, it might be underexposed.

That's it for Part 1 because I've run out of attachments for this post, but part 2 will include the last 6.

Last edited by spacetrain1983; 09-16-2017 at 04:12 AM.
spacetrain1983 is offline   Reply With Quote