View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Well EJ&E and Pan Am are already included in that. I'm not 100% sure on how the Pan Am Southern deal works but I'm pretty sure its somehow under the NS banner?

I always though the MM&A would continue to grow and eventually hit the Class I mark but apparently business has leveled off some in the last year or so.

LIRR is primarily a passenger railroad so they would never fall into that category.

FEC is large but does not have much room to expand at the moment. CSX and NS are still heavily invested in the container traffic out of Jacksonville which I think would be necessary for FEC to get a share of in order to push it into that bracket.

Iowa Interstate and MRL are two on the list that both continue to do very well but still need that missing piece.

I wouldn't count out the WNY&PA who continues to gain trackage and therefore more customers throughout two states. Give them more of the Buffalo Line and maybe a coal line or two in central PA and they could possibly make it as a Class I.

Do I think any other railroad will ever become a Class I? No. Unless a Class I pulls out of a large market in either intermodal or coal then I do not think it will ever happen. CN continues to gobble up these smaller lines to gain access into the markets that do not have a major player or as competition.

Cool thread though. It is fun to dream!

BR&W as a Class I...Easton, PA to Oak Island (Newark), NJ. Yes please!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote