View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Kelly Lynch

Default Gentlemen, hold your horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Hello,

As of yesterday, August 1 2008, the Ohio Central System, formed in 1988 and owned by my friend and fellow Akron RR Club member, Jerry Jacobson, was bought out by the Genessee & Wyoming Railroad.

Another concern brought by the acquisition of the OHCR, is if the completion of NKP Berkshire 763 will occur. It is very feared that the G&W may not wish to complete this task, and may send the Berk to the scrap peep. It is also fretted that the G&W will discontinue service with the currently operational OHCR 1293 and LS&I 33.

Unfortunately, it is too late for the Ohio Central to be saved now. The railroad was officially bought as of 8/1/08 and is now under complete control of the G&W. I am not sure if traffic, schedules and motive power is to change. But lets hope for the best. This issue has been confirmed by three employees - J
Firstly, a lot of people all too easily call Jerry their friend -- the man knows a lot of people, and a lot of people claim to know him. Any thoughts or fears that the steam locomotives would find themselves trundled to the scrapper are ridiculous and baseless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I'm sure if you're selling your railroad to another person/company you'd work these details out and not let them tell you to get the 'heck' off their property.
Right. The news of this sale is not some sudden take over or surprise to some. Any contract with the new owner surely includes a caveat that aims to preserve the steam department in some fashion. Means to relocate and preserve the steam department and give it a home with its own roundhouse and servicing facility on the line have also been in the works for several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
And besides, if Jerry owns the steam engines, and if the G&W wants those engines out of the maintenance shop area, then where will they go? Onto Jerry's front lawn?
You are not that far off.

The man didn't purchase a turntable to let it sit on a flat car. Check the line between Sugarcreek and Baltic and let me know if you spy any new turnouts.
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote