View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 04:10 AM   #2
spacetrain1983

Default Part 2

Here is part 2, and the last 6 "possibly worthy" photos I have taken since July 1st. All of these photos, as you see them attached, are un-edited except for resizing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7174.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	792.2 KB
ID:	9510
This picture is of an eastbound UP intermodal train in Nampa, Idaho on July 22nd. I was finally back in my regular railfanning area, and I decided to incorporate the deadline of various 90s era locomotives into my shot. And that's where the biggest problem with this shot comes into play: I cut off the nose of the SD90 at the left of the frame. Truth be told, I got startled when the engineer blew the horn, and I jumped, and had to re-frame at the last second. I really need to get a second tripod for this camera... well I have one but I don't use it because 1 tripod is hard enough to manage under my circumstances.

Name:	DSCN7221.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	795.8 KB
ID:	9511
This photo is of an eastbound UP manifest preparing to leave Nampa on August 17th. I decided to use the Amity Road overpass to frame the shot, and decided to throw in the milepost too. Note the 2nd train that can be seen under the signal bridge. I don't see any major problems with this shot except maybe it needs to be cropped.

Name:	DSCN7300.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	9512
This one is of an eastbound UP intermodal train flying through Mountain Home, ID on August 26th. We were chasing the train half the day; as soon as I turned on my scanner that morning before leaving the house, I heard this train receive permission to leave Nampa. We caught up to it on the interstate, and eventually passed it, leaving me with about a minute to spare to set up at a spot in Mountain Home. The main problems I can potentially see with this are 1, the light isn't THAT great due to the smoke and 2, I cut off the train a bit on the right but I had to in order for lens distortion to not start to kick in, plus the train was traveling at track speed and I didn't have much time to figure out my framing.

Name:	DSCN7306.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	754.3 KB
ID:	9513
This one is of a westbound UP manifest in King Hill, Idaho, and notable for being my very first (and currently only) catch of an EMD SD70ACe-T4, EMDX 1601, also on August 26th. The main problem I can see with this shot is all the smoke in the air affected the lighting.

Name:	DSCN7363.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	714.2 KB
ID:	9514
This one is of an eastbound UP manifest entering the yard in Nampa, Idaho on September 2nd. The main problems I see with this one are 1, all the foreground and background scenery and 2, the lighting isn't that great. The only reason I even contemplated this one even possibly having a slight chance is the number on the lead unit. UP 8027. That was the number of the SD9043MAC I got to go into the cab of when I was 4, and that locomotive is now NS SD70ACU #7256, but at least it's still operating. I know sentimental value doesn't typically fly here when it comes to photos being rejected or not, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Name:	DSCN7370.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	724.9 KB
ID:	9515
And finally, a westbound UP ash train crossing Indian Creek on September 9th. This was my very first attempt to get a shot of a train crossing this bridge. The main problems I can potentially see with this one are 1, the framing/ROT isn't that great, but I wanted to incorporate the bridge and surroundings into the shot as well as possible, which brings me to problem 2, some parts of the bridge and near main track obscure some parts of the locomotive, however I chose to include it here because I tried something new (to me).

Well, that's all 14 shots I picked out from the past 2 and a half months.