View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I've trimmed your post down to the problem portion of it for me...

You can't know what I think... you can only know what you think.

(Which even goes back to the question to Max - when he says it is this versus that to everyone, is he representing a certain demographic, or is he saying this is true of everyone period - clearly you support the latter.)

And yes... one image of Amtrak that I see is those orange GP7s on the NEC, scurrying about with work trains... suddenly shocking the hell out of me at Metropark when the chant of a 567 suddenly breaks through the air and the distant hum of the Garden State Parkway.
Well, fine. I think in this case you are being too literal in word interpretation in common usage in informal web forum posting. I would say that what Max wrote is his prediction of the response of people, that most would think of the F40. I suppose it makes sense to inquire if Max was really thinking of, say, all railfans of any age.

As for my sentence, I in no way think that I know what you think and I see now that my sentence should read

Quote:
But when one thinks of Amtrak power one does not, I would say, in general first think of the SDP40F.
I do think you may have had too averse a reaction to my original sentence, but for the record the one above now holds. But I am too lazy to edit my previous post. (If I did so, no one would know what this one is about!)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote