View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
...[portion omitted]...Technology, ever since the discovery of fire and the invention of the wheel, exists solely for the betterment of the human race and inexorably marches on.
LOL - You are so correct.

Quote:
...[portion omitted]When you say old film is bad, I take it that you mean outdated film, not that film itself is.
Yes, outdated materials were always ify to use and the conundrum being that they were expensive so you wanted to get some use out of them, but you took the risk that the chemicals or plastic that the emulsion was coated on would be no good.

Same with print paper and processing chemicals.

Quote:
...[portion omitted]....I agree with Mike that lamentation is human and that the previous technology simply is different. Long time users of discarded technology will miss aspects, ancillary or not, because it has been a part of their lives. Sometimes, as in my life, it a part of their bread and butter.
And this is not a bad thing. I like an operating steam engine just as much as the next person, if not more.

I sort of feel cheated that I missed the 1000's of them that once roamed the earth.

Quote:
My signature has been "Lover of old, user of new." Therefore I love steam locomotive's and film cameras.
Me too and I have a my mother's old Canon AE-1 with a roll of B&W film in it right now.

Quote:
However, if I had to be drilling freight at 2AM in heavy precipitation or doing a photo shoot, I would prefer a diesel or a digital camera.
I rode the first modern round trip that AT&SF 3751 took from Los Angeles to San Diego back in 2008. (The last time was 1959.)

During that trip, it is clear why diesels replaced steam - the most obvious reason was the 45 minute water stop at the half way point on both the trip down and back.

Quote:
I am ambivalent about Kodachrome since I way always a slave and never a master of it. Consequently, I haven't used Kodachrome regularly since the 90's.
I can't remember specifically using it.

During the 80's I was shooting, developing and printing both color and B&W and I used whatever the school bought wholesale or what I could afford on my meager budget.

Quote:
Kodachrome has been inexorably intertwined with photography for 70 years..
I wonder if it's demise would have been as well publicized without the Paul Simon song?

Also, the reason I included CDs is because the days are numbered for that technology.

I know that is what everyone currently uses, but the iPod and the *.mp3 spin offs have sealed the fate on that medium.

For instance, I don't use my portable CD player anymore because I have ripped my entire collection and use the iPod.

Consequently, the CD is doomed.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote