View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #83
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
That being said, there were actually negative films used to make slides at the time. These were Seattle Filmworks 5254 and then 5247.
I remember seeing ads for that stuff. Fortunately, I have an older cousin who was my mentor, and taught me during my Instamatic phase that slides were superior to prints, and that prints were not the best way to share your work, get published, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I maybe messing this story up a little but a friend of mine from the east knew an optician? who would duplicate faded color shifted Agfa, Ectachrome etc but would use color lenses to color correct and duplicate the slide. The results I saw looked OK for a slide show. Recently, My friend asked me if I could scan and improve the duplicate. Of course(to me) only so much you can do since when you duplicate you lose any extra detail of the original??. I asked about the originals but said he did not know where they were which could mean.....
My biggest transgressions in the "Mercurochrome" (you younger guys can look it up) family were Agfachrome and push-processed Ektachrome. I haven't yet scanned one that wasn't very grainy and color-shifted.

In the late '80's, I put together an all-color book about the L&NE. Some of the rarest images were on non-Kodachrome transparencies, and the color shift was major. The process at that time was to make saturation adjustments to the four color separations (negative enlargements of cyan, magenta, yellow, and black) that would be used by the printer. It was very analog, and very similar to what your friend did with the color filters. The problem is, once a dye for a given color has faded away, it's nearly impossible to restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Here's a slide that was shot on Kodacolor negative film (somewhat restored version):
Do you still have the negative (I assume you shot print film and then did a duplicate image, again on negative film)? It should scan better than the slide.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote