View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I'll agree with you on the 50mm.

However, I don't agree with you about zoom being considered a gimmick. Unfortunately, I can't seem to master the art of levitation, so I need to be able to adjust to those other focal lengths.
Again---not the best choice of a word. I love a zoom lens (as well as a wide). If you consider that many neophyte photographers quickly gravitate to a 300mm view of the world--and create some really unmemorable stuff in the process--my point was: start with the basics.

Among the old fart photographers who discuss such things off-list--it's a common opinion that today's youthful digi-age fotogs rely too much on the "gee whiz" stuff of technology. They blew right past the fundamentals. They might be able to engage you in a passionate discussion of histograms---but they can't truly command the relationships between ASA (that would be ISO to the younger folks), shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, etc.

In my day, a histogram would be a telegram that was lost for several years before it was finally delivered...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote