View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
That was the in depth answer my dad received when he questioned once again why they would pass on someone who already knew a lot about the business. Looking back, all I can say is that they still missed the boat, on me at least. I was just a young man looking for a job, trying to follow in my fathers footsteps. Being a foamer was the last thing on my mind and today I still dont consider myself a foamer. I only picked up the camera little over 4 years ago as it was just sitting there collecting dust. I started messing with and well caught the photo bug. Naturally I turned my interest of photography to my all time interest of trains. Unfortunately my dad had already retired so I missed capturing those moments so I turned my interest into more of preservation of the CW not only collecting photos but info and history. I am all about picking up the forgotten pieces where corporate brass only sees them as stepping stones to the top and padding their pockets along the way from lack of preservation (At least on the CW that is). Whenever I am around or on trains I still use the knowledge I learned reading my dad's work books to keep myself, my family and those around me safe. I guess if that still classifies me as a nut or a foamer, so be it. While I would have been retired from the RR by now, had I gotten the job, I may have never picked up that dusty camera and caught that preservation bug....
Please understand that I was not calling you one of those foamers. I was pointing out that the railfan hobby is rife with people who love trains, but wouldn't know how to differentiate between their vocation and their avocation. Unfortunately, those of us who do are lumped in with the rest who could easily be a liability to the railroad.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote