View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
One of my friends who did several western trips with me in the 80's recently retired after a career with Conrail/NS in the marketing department. He is a very accomplished photographer, but never wanted his employer to know about his hobby, and stayed under the radar for the most part. He always claimed that association with the hobby could hinder his career, and your experience doesn't surprise me.

Maybe it would ease your pain to consider it from NS' standpoint. Think about many of the foamers that you have come across over the years. I would bet that many would let their infatuation with trains hinder their ability to make sound operational or business decisions.

WRT the NEC comment, Loyd addressed it perfectly.
That was the in depth answer my dad received when he questioned once again why they would pass on someone who already knew a lot about the business. Looking back, all I can say is that they still missed the boat, on me at least. I was just a young man looking for a job, trying to follow in my fathers footsteps. Being a foamer was the last thing on my mind and today I still dont consider myself a foamer. I only picked up the camera little over 4 years ago as it was just sitting there collecting dust. I started messing with and well caught the photo bug. Naturally I turned my interest of photography to my all time interest of trains. Unfortunately my dad had already retired so I missed capturing those moments so I turned my interest into more of preservation of the CW not only collecting photos but info and history. I am all about picking up the forgotten pieces where corporate brass only sees them as stepping stones to the top and padding their pockets along the way from lack of preservation (At least on the CW that is). Whenever I am around or on trains I still use the knowledge I learned reading my dad's work books to keep myself, my family and those around me safe. I guess if that still classifies me as a nut or a foamer, so be it. While I would have been retired from the RR by now, had I gotten the job, I may have never picked up that dusty camera and caught that preservation bug....

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 11-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote