View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 02:39 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I am interested in using all sliders in Lightroom to achieve a response from a viewer. I wish to do whatever it takes to achieve the mood or emotion I am trying to convey.
And therein lies the problem that the engineers among us have when we look at a really artistic photo. We may or may not like it, but if we see that others like it we are trying to figure out the technical reasons why....and failing much of the time, because we suck when it comes to deciphering emotions.

Quote:
For me, the reaction I am looking for is like the one from someone who has never taken a photograph in their life and views the image for the first time. I don't want them to bring preconceptions, or knowledge of how the image must have been made, et all, for all of that is irrelevant. The image must exist to be or mean something. It must "be" in order not to waste the viewers time.
Dennis, I suspect that the audience here on the forums is not the best one with which to pursue your quest for the type of opinions you are seeking. The folks here are all fairly experienced photographers and when they look at an image, they do so with much keener eyes than does the average John Q. Public. I see images posted on various forums all the time that wouldn't even come close to cutting the mustard here, and yet people on those forums fawn all over that stuff. I suspect it is the same on Facebook. An artistic photo could get cut to ribbons on this forum and be a big hit almost anyplace else. Yes, you might evoke some emotion with a group of experienced photographers.....for about 2 seconds, before the detailed analysis begins.

Quote:
Like every artist, I work to please myself. However, I do realize that if I wish recognition or remuneration, I do have to consider if my work is reaching people. I accept that I may have to compromise or go in another direction if my work, in a word, flops.
I think that as we get older, we tend to care a little more what other people think of our work. When you're young, you at least believe you have time to grow and mature at whatever you do. When you hit a certain age (and I have), you start to realize that you no longer have "forever" to make whatever mark you're going to make. And yeah, no one likes to flop.

Quote:
Last thought, if you wish to get better as a rail photographer, sure, look at other rail shooters, particularly when starting out. However, in order to grow look beyond rail. First look to landscape photographers, then sports, then portraits, even wedding or street.
I totally agree with this. I actually do enjoy photographing a variety of other things, that required all manner of different skills related to exposure, composition, catching the moment, etc. Not that I'm any good at it, but I think it does help me improve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECC_2017 08 03_0077-1.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	767.4 KB
ID:	9583   Click image for larger version

Name:	New England Nationals_2017 06 04_0054-1.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	779.4 KB
ID:	9584   Click image for larger version

Name:	USAF Museum_2016 11 17_0087-1.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	9585   Click image for larger version

Name:	ONJ_2011 12 10_0074-1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	9586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Eclipse_2017 08 21_0086-1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	9587  

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote