View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 AM   #41
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Sorry, but this particular set of statements makes no sense. Unless you have a seal around the camera body and the vacuum opening, and unless you permanently leave the vacuum attached (but then what about the lens? ) you will certainly have the same volume of air returning into the sensor cavity, sooner or later, that the vacuum pulled out.

Now, the air coming in may very well have less dust in it than the air coming out.

My worry would be to make sure the vacuum is gentle enough not to damage fragile internal parts such as the shutter or mirror assembly.
My response was in response to the statement made by Kevin which said

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
The vacuum is a very interesting idea.

I actually considered doing this even before I started this thread, but I wondered whether it would make the problem better or worse. On the one hand, it would tend to pull the dust/dirt away from the sensor/filter instead of just massaging it around as some types of cleaning techniques might do. On the other hand, there would be a massive amount of air drawn out of the sensor cavity that has to be replaced with equally massive amount of air coming from somewhere......= new dust brought in????

Perhaps the home vacuum might be too powerful for this task? They do make tiny little vacuums for use with instrumentation that might be be very appropriate for this application.

I like the vacuum idea a lot better than putting solution on a swab and touching the filter. Even if I get the dirt off, I can picture that leaving it streaky, dooming my chances of getting any more shots into RP
I took this to mean that he was worried about air coming in while the vacuum was hooked up and sucking. Of course air is going to reoccupy the void after the vacuum is removed. I don't see how that would allow in any more dust than any other time the lens is changed unless you are cleaning your sensor in the middle of a tractor pull or other dusty environment.

It's going to be impossible to remove every single speck of dust that could ever land on your sensor filter. What is better cleaning it and having a a very small amount of dust on the sensor following the cleaning or leaving enough dust on the sensor that you see it when you look at a photo?

If you have ever watched dust in the sunlight through a window or other bright light it tends to glide along and fall simultaneously. If you wave your hand up in front of it most of it will bob a little bit but continue gliding/ falling. The dust wants to fall down and the camera opening is pointed down. I would say the amount of dust making it to the sensor filter is minimal.

Just using the camera will allow some dust in as previously mentioned. It will never be 100% clean. Hope that clears up what I was saying for you a little bit and makes it make some sense.

As to the pull of a vacuum being too strong the cupping of your hands around the opening would allow you to start off with a low level of pull and tighten the seal with your hands if needed.

There used to be a microvac that was advertised on TV for cleaning computer keyboards and things. If those are still available they would make a viable alternative for those that are afraid to use a full size vacuum.