Thread: Cloudy Day
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr View Post
The softness may be a depth of field issue with this particular shot. Although, admittedly, I've only recently begun to use Lightroom, so it may be a question of getting used to the sharpening and noise reduction settings. With that being said, it also looks like I may be able to correct for a cloudy/washed out sky with some adjustments to the lighting/shadows/white balance in other images as well.
Hi Adam,

FWIW, my experience is that even without sharpening, the shot should look relatively sharp when you first open it and go to 100% in Lightroom. If it's not, the issue is probably not a lack of sharpening. It is more likely an AF issue or a photographer technique issue. I have personally seen both. I don't know how fast that Acela was going, but if they were running at high speed and you were not using continuous AF, or a strong enough shutter speed, or the camera/lens combo didn't have really snappy focus, that could be the issue. In my case, it would probably be unsteady hands. In all seriousness, there are indeed cameras and lenses that just don't handle stuff comin' at ya really fast. My Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR is an OK lens....but its AF does not handle airplanes or fast trains very well at all. Put the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII on the same body and there's no problem. Of course, the latter lens is about 4x the price of the former. Sometimes, gear can be limiting.

Anyway, in general, if the shot looks soft when you first open it at 100% in Lightroom, it is probably a bust. You might be able to get it looking OK for the web (been there, done that), but it will probably never be good enough for an application requiring higher resolution.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-31-2017 at 01:46 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote